News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

magazines

Started by orangeman, January 27, 2010, 11:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Can someone recommend a couple magazines for someone just getting started with HO?

ABC

Model Railroader & Railroad Model Craftsman are good magazines that usually have pretty good articles.

rich1998

You can get the Model Railroader magazine.
http://www.trains.com/mrr/default.aspx

Below is a link to a free on line magazine.

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/download/back_issues

Both will have advanced and occasionally articles for new people.

Below are some links for information. The first mentions HO scale. You can get the books sometimes at a LHS or order on line from Amazon. I have bought used books once in a while that was cheaper than new. Used books ship for about $3.99.
Store all the links in Favorites you like for future reference.

lex

jettrainfan

Defently model railroader! even the old ones help!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

RAM

You might also check in your local library.

CNE Runner

O-Man, another valuable resource is the Internet...you probably already know that huh? YouTube has a wealth of videos that will instruct you in many of model railroading's skills. Another great website is Carl Arendt's at
I can tell you that you will spend a lifetime learning new ideas and perfecting skills. That is what makes the hobby so entertaining.

Welcome aboard,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Santa Fe buff

Although I may not be suggesting a magazine (All of my bets are taken!), I can safely say the neatest thing about this hobby is both the minuature wonders, and saying, "Now that I can do ______, how else can I do it?"

Just touching up with Ray!

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

jward

while these do not cater to model railroaders per se, the regular railroad magazines often have good articles about trains and places you'd want to model. they are an endless source of inspiration for me. i recommend trains, classic trains and trp. all are available at bookstores like barnes & noble, or borders.....+-+
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Santa Fe buff

jward,
Especially when you find books about model railroading. Usually it's Kalmbach Publishing once again, but sometimes it's something else. I love to go to Barns and Nobles, just to see the real train books. I found a good read in a $45.00 New York Central book that I sat and read for 10 minutes and I couldn't put it down...

Great reads everywhere!

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

ebtbob

I highly recommend Model Railroad News.   The only publication I see that consistantly gives you decent reviews,  meaning if a product is good they will tell you and if a product is bad that will be told to you also.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

jward

joshua,
if you want some fascinating reads, try the triumph series of books by bernard roberts co. these deal with the building and operations of various segments of the pennsy, and there are similar books covering the b&o as well.

for modelling projects, morning sun has books dealing with the equipment of different railroads. if you get these, look for photos by my dad in there. he was taking slides back in the 1960s and 1970s (i never stood a chance....lol} at a time when most of the rail trails were still running railroads. he made it a point to hunt down shortlines and branchlines that everybody else ignored.....books that i know his work has appeared in are those covering pennsy, penn central, b&o, western maryland, union rr, bessemer, and the p&le.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Pacific Northern

I subscribe to Railroad Model Craftsman and Model Railroader.

There appears to be a problem with the Railroad Model Craftsman subscriptions being delivered in Canada. I just started my subscription in November and had to contact RMC that the Dec. issue had not been received and now I am still waiting for the Jan. 2010 issue. Contacted RMC a couple of times in the last couple of weeks and still no word from them.

The Model Railroader issues arrive on time with no problems.
Pacific Northern