News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The right size bulbs?

Started by jonathan, August 27, 2009, 07:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

Micro-Mark offers a small fiber optic kit. I've often considered ordering it just out of sheer curiosity.

http://www.micromark.com/FIBER-OPTICS-EXPERIMENTERS-KIT,9279.html

Sid

jonathan

Sorry for the late response.  I actually did take the family camping (nice break).

JH2,  glad you liked the album.  I'm devising a plan to give a virtual tour of the layout as things progress.  I really enjoy looking other modeler's layouts, too.  We had White Castles in Minnesota, where I lived for about 7 years growing up.  Saw the kit at had to build it.  Plan to do bldg interiors one-day. 

The rest of you have provided such outstanding ideas for lighting.  I'm really a beginner when it comes to fiddling with the guts of an HO locomotive.  It seems there is just as much art and finesse, as technical know how, when dealing with such a small area.  As this is my second attempt, I'm sticking with the GOW bulbs and a resistor (first attempt worked but lights too dim).  If all goes well, I'll post a few pics with the lights on (I'm DC so that will be a trick in itself). 

Thanks again,

Jonathan

jonathan

Here is the final results from my loco lighting project.  This engine has three 3.5v bulbs, connected in series with two 10ohm-1/4w resistors (one bulb in arrears).  Jim, couldn't find a 15ohm-1/4w resistor.  The power was set at 70%, using my wheel cleaning tool.  I used low light for the photo, but my point-and-shoot camera compensated, which is why everything is so bright.  Yes, those are cobwebs.  Well, I had to run the loco around the loop a few times to test her (garage layout).

Still need to find something to use as lenses for the class lights, and I have MU hoses on order for all my GPs.  Will continue to experiment with different bulb configurations as I complete the other 4 engines.  I'm having way too much fun with this.  Thanks again, guys, for your great advice!

Regards,

Jonathan

P.S. Right hand on wheel brush, left hand on camera.  Whew!

Jhanecker2

If your point & shoot camera is large enough to have tripod mount , try using a table top tripod to hold the camera.  I still shoot 35mm film cameras when I take photographs now rarely , I miss my darkroom a lot .  I got hooked  on   SLRs , and developing & printing.