News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bashing a 4-6-0

Started by ebtnut, August 27, 2009, 01:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtnut

Anyone out there had the gumption to try and widen the Ten-Wheeler to On3?  Any particular problems, like the cylinder block being too narrow?  I'm contemplating acquiring one becuase they are neat, but I don't need it turn into a major project to widen it.

Jim Banner

I haven't tried that but if the cylinders were too narrow, couldn't you just cut them off and space them out a bit?  Just a thought.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

hminky

If it is like the Mogul and the BLI C-16 the cylinders are probably prototypically correct which means they are too narrow for On3.

Harold

ebtnut

Preliminary word I've gotten from the On3 Board is that the cylinder block is wide enough to accommodate On3.  Also, Grandt Line is apparently going to have a conversion kit, similar to the one for Mogul, available at the Narrow Gauge Convention.  So it looks like it is do-able.

ebtnut

FWIW, I stumbled upon the fact that ET&WNC No. 8 (second) was originally built for the Twin Mountain and Potomac RR, running out of Keyser, WV.  The loco and her sister appear to have been built to virtually the same blueprints as the ET engines.  The loco that went to Tweetsie came there after a 5-year stint with a WV lumber company.  The dispostion of TM&P No. 1 is unknown, so if you are looking for an excuse to get the Bachmann engine for your home road, you can say it came second-hand. 

scottychaos

Quote from: hminky on August 30, 2009, 05:57:19 PM
If it is like the Mogul and the BLI C-16 the cylinders are probably prototypically correct which means they are too narrow for On3.

Harold

they cant be "prototypically correct" AND "too narrow for On3" at the same time...because the prototypes are 3-foot gauge! ;)

So if they are in fact prototypically correct, they will NOT be too narrow for On3..

Scot

scottychaos

This is probably already well known to nearly everyone..
but just in case it isnt known to everyone:

The prototype of the Bachmann 4-6-0 is ET&WNC #12, which still exists, and operates today with the Tweetsie Railroad in North Carolina.
(same prototype as the Bachmann Large Scale version)

Scot

hminky

Quote from: scottychaos on September 03, 2009, 12:57:14 PM

they cant be "prototypically correct" AND "too narrow for On3" at the same time...because the prototypes are 3-foot gauge! ;)

So if they are in fact prototypically correct, they will NOT be too narrow for On3..

Scot

The cylinders are widened on most models to clear the larger than prototype hardware. If you make the BLI 2-8-0 On3 the hardware will not clear.

Harold

Jim Banner

Which gets us right back to cutting the cylinders off and spacing them out a bit.  A cursory examination of Scot's two photos show that is exactly what they had to do to make the large scale model of ET&WNC #12. 

If there is room for the rods and gear on the 0n30 10 wheeler, why would there not be room for the same rods and gear on an 0n3 clone once you move the cylinders and crosshead guides out an appropriate amount?  By my calculation, that appropriate amount would be less than 1/16" (or about 6" in scale.)  A closer look at Scot's photos suggests the cylinders have been moved out quite a bit more than just 6" to make the large scale model.  It is a compromise I could live with in 0n30 and already do in large scale.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

hminky

They probably have been moved out on the large scale to go around the "tinplate" turns Bachmann sells.

Let's see .750-.650 all divided by 2 = .050.

Harold