Wires to sound plug need to be more flexible

Started by on30gn15, September 01, 2009, 07:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on30gn15

Hello again;

Been running my new Pennsylvanian train set and when hooking up tender to loco the apparently heavy-duty-heat-shrink wrapped sound system wires had to be given a pretty forceful twist to get plug same way up as socket in back of loco.

Looks like after 3 days out on track that force has twisted black wire out of plug.
In one way it's not a loss since the sound at lowest volume is too loud for me anyway.
But, ya know, I'd like to have the potential to use the sound.

Guess I can find something to do with the sound wires while figuring out how to get power to the tender backup light, which isn't lighted in these train set locos.

Oh well, no longer have to worry about messing up the plug in taking the loco boiler off to repaint it - doing the boiler jacket metallic grey and smokebox black. Also doing the black cylinders, cylinder saddle, pilot beam and pilot in green. Tender top and running boards in red zinc chromate.

There's gotta be a way to make those wires more flexible instead of squashing them into God knows what contortions inside of what looks super heavy duty heat shrink tubing.

Yes, I like the train. Yes I'm happy to have it, and the other sets.
(for which the sound wires were more or less lined up to go in plug rather more easily than the PRR loco)

I am, however, rapidly growing less and less happy with the execution of the sound systems and speed controllers. 
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

armorsmith

On30,

I just picked up a B'mann Bumble Bee 10 wheeler and noticed the same problem.  My solution was to open up the tender, and cut the wires about 1 inch off the PC baord.  I then removed the wires from their existing path.  I drilled a clearance hole dead center in the end beam above the draw bar.  I snaked the wires thru the new hole in the end beam and the existing hole in the bolster.  I soldered the wires back together, and re-assembled the tender.  This makes plugging the connector in a little tougher, but I don't have any issues in operation.

on30gn15

Quote from: armorsmith on September 01, 2009, 07:42:36 PM
On30,

I just picked up a B'mann Bumble Bee 10 wheeler and noticed the same problem. 
Aha! so it isn't me being delusional all alone!

By the way, here's my repaint so far http://forrestandhismuse.blogspot.com/2009/09/thisn-aint-box-stock-any-more-either.html
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest