Weak power on auto reversing track

Started by Dubber, September 03, 2009, 05:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubber

I have the village street car set and the power is very weak. Is there anything I can do?

simkon

Adjust the variable speed controller. You have the ON30 set, right?

Dubber

I did but it is very weak. It alwasys has been weak on that set.

simkon

If you think it may be defective and you purchased it from a legitimate Bachmann dealer and filled out the warranty card, then you can send it in for repair or replacement.

Jim Banner

Before you send it back, you might want to try one test.  Put your street car on a few sections of track.  If you use some of the reversing tracks, take a few sections out of the middle so that the electronics at the end of the line are not involved.  Then put a fresh 9 volt alkaline battery across the tracks, one pole to each rail.  The street car should run smartly along the track.  Not full speed, but not like it is dragging either.  If the street car passes this test, you know that the problem is in the electronics of the reversing circuit or the power pack.  If the street car does not pass this test, it may be in need of lubrication and/or wheel cleaning.  You didn't mention how recently you got the street car and tracks, or if it ever ran correctly.  And we are left guessing whether you have just what came with the set or if you have added some optional extras.  These factors might have some bearing on where your trouble lies.

To add to what simkon has said, if you bought your set from a legitimate dealer, it should still be under warranty.  If you haven't filled out the warranty card and send it in already, at least fill it out now and send it along with the set.  Sorry to say that if you bought it off eBay from a non-dealer, for example someone just trying to get rid of a set because he couldn't make it work, then you are out of luck as far as manufacturer's warranty goes.  But there is a lot of help available here, on this forum.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Dubber

Thank you both Simon and Jim.

I bought the set maybe 5 yrs ago now. It was weak from the begining. I used it maybe 5 days during the Holidays 5 yrs ago then put it back in it's original box. It had been packed and sealed all this time till today when I took it back out to add it to a small layout I made 4x8. Sometimes the trolly seems to stick and not run smoothly and have to nudge them to get it to complete the run. I tried sevral trollys on the track then tested the trollys on my main track... they run perfect on the main track but run sluggish on the auto reversing track.

-Rick

Jim Banner

That sounds like a problem with the electronics.  Does your set have a separate power pack for speed control or is it integrated with the reversing gear?  If separate, you might try powering your street cars on your main track using the street car supply.  That might eliminate one more culprit.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Dubber

Yes it does have a seperate power pack. It is powered by the car barn that came with the set. If I could disconnect it from the barn and power it from the main power pack on the layout I would but not sure how to do it.