New to the hobby: What do i need to get me started on sound?

Started by niknok, August 30, 2009, 02:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

niknok

Hi, I am very new to this hobby (assuming i survive).  Out of impulse i bought a couple of locomotives from ebay. 1 x 2-10-4 Santa Fe (#51205), 1 x 2-8-0 Consolidation (#83601), and 1 x 2-8-0 Consolidation (#81175 N-scale).  Never mind the N-scale for now, but I would want to add sound to either or both of the HOs.  I've read through threads in the forum(nose bled once or twice) on adding sound to locos, but i'm not sure how much they apply to what i have.  The challenge is, I'm from the Philippines, and i can only get stuff online/overseas since the hobby here is totally nil.  I need to absolutely get the right stuff since i can't just run to the local hobby shop for parts.  Right, so now i need to sort a couple of things:
a) Would it be as simple as plugging in Sound Only decoders to my locos?
b) Does the 2-10-4 already have speakers? or do i need to buy them separately? (haven't received the engines yet so i can't check)
c) Since I have DCC on board, will a sound only decoder suffice? and which model for my engines? Or shall i go for the expensive TSU-1000 :(
d) I've read about JST 9 to NMRA 8 adapters, do i need them?
c) Haven't seen the engines, do i need to drill holes? (i might need to get a dremel tool)

A lot of my friends (local toy collector club) is telling me doing this is insane given that no one else is into trains in the club or the the country for that matter, but i'd like to find out for myself if its worth it.  I need to know all the stuff that i need first so I can ship them all at once (reducing cost).

(oh, last time i did some soldering was when i was in school, wayyy back =) )

Thanks,
dennis=)

Terry Toenges

What do i need to get me started on sound? Ears  :)
I'm sure others can respond with more technical answers.
Feel like a Mogul.

simkon

If you have an older run 2-10-4, you'd have to hardwire a dcc sound decoder and probably make space for a speaker and holes in the bottom of the tender. The older run is not equipped with an NMRA 8-pin socket, so that makes things more difficult for a beginner. If it is the newer run then all you need is a sound decoder and the tender is set-up for after-market sound installations and very little additional work is required.
The consolidation may require some manipulation for the speaker to fit in the tender and you will have to probably make holes in the bottom, but any decoder with sound that fits in the tender will work.
Answers to questions...
A. Then you wouldn't have dcc to run them...
B. There is not a speaker included with either the new or old run of the 2-10-4's, you would need to purchase one, some decoders come with speakers.
C. It is all up to you for which decoders you want to use, there are a variety of decoders to choose from, there are many that would work for your locos at various prices.
D. Bachmann locos only have 8-pin adapters if any at all, they never have 9-pin adapters.
E. If they are older run, it is likely, if newer run the 2-10-4 I know already has holes
***Also, you will need a device that can control sound such as a dcc system or a sound controller for regular dc running.***

niknok

Thanks simkon/Terry.

Ears.. check.
EZ Command.. check.
EZ Tracks.. check. (Steel)
220v to 110v transformer .. check.

I will wait for the 2-10-4 and check if its the newer release.  If the 2-8-0 would need a major alteration, then id probably stick with the 2-10-4 until i get confident enough in putting in sound to locos with on-board dcc.

Now i need to decide whether to go with one decoder for motor and sound, or two decoders in one loco.  I read there's a bit of an effort to make the two decoder setup work.

dennis

Jim Banner

Welcome to the world of model railroading!

Looking up your locomotives under "Products" quickly showed that both the H0 ones already have DCC decoders in them.  That will make installing sound easier for you.

To answer your specific questions:
Quotea) Would it be as simple as plugging in Sound Only decoders to my locos?
No.  There is only one socket and it presently has a motor decoder plugged into it.

Quoteb) Does the 2-10-4 already have speakers?
No.  You will need to buy a speaker.  Use the largest speaker you have room for and be sure it matches the sound decoder (8 ohm, 16 ohm, 32 ohm etc.)

Quotec) Since I have DCC on board, will a sound only decoder suffice? and which model for my engines?
Yes, if you are willing to hard wire the sound decoder.  Use the model suggested by the manufacturer.  Soundtraxx, for example, recommends their "medium steam" for the 2-8-0 and their "heavy steam" for the 2-10-4.

Quoted) I've read about JST 9 to NMRA 8 adapters, do i need them?
If you want to plug in a Tsunami decoder, then yes - you need a cable with a JST 9 pin plug on one end and an NMRA 8 pin plug on the other end.  Alternately, you need an NMRA 8 pin plug which you can solder the wires to (the Tsunami comes with a JST 9 pin plug and wiring harness.)

However, some other brands already have 8 pin plugs, for example, certain Digitrax decoders.

Quotee) Haven't seen the engines, do i need to drill holes? (i might need to get a dremel tool)
Yes.  You can use a Dremel tool or hand drill, or even a pin vise if it will hold bits up to about 1/8" or 3 mm.

A few other things you need to know:

While ears are a great asset if you wish to listen to sound, you do not need them just to install sound.

Actually, you do not need a DCC system to control all sound controllers.  The Tsunami, for example, can be controlled by a regular dc controller.  But as you get into installing DCC and sound, you will find that sooner or later you will need a DCC system for programming all sound controllers and you will need it for operating most of them.  While the E-Z Command can operate sound and motor controllers, it cannot program them beyond changing their addresses.

With very few exceptions, you will also have to do some soldering sooner or later.  So you will need a soldering iron and some rosin core solder (using acid core solder or acid flux will immediately end the warranty on your decoder!!)  Thirdly, you will need some practice.  An expensive decoder is no place to practice.

There are some capacitors in the locomotives' tenders that need to be removed if you change motor decoders.

Lastly, keep in touch.  As you go along, you will undoubtedly have more questions.

Jim   
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

niknok

Thanks Jim.

By the looks of it i might opt to get a motor/sound decoder for the 2-10-4 to to quickly get it up and running.  I will then do the 2-8-0 as a separate project as it looks to be more complicated.  If something goes wrong on the 2-8-0, at least I have the running 2-10-4 to take away the frustration while watching it run =)

I'll hold the questions for now, until the time I have the locos with me.  I will definitely keep in touch =)

Thanks,
dennis=)

Pacific Northern

Unless the cost of sound decoders comes down it appears that upgrading existing engines is almost as costly as buying new engines with sound already installed.

If you shop around there are  some really good deals.

Then of course there is the aspect of preparing the tenders for sound which in many instances means drilling the floor of the tenders with holes for the speakers and then re-installing the weights and the circuit board.

Note that the tenders used for the sound equipped engines have been machined to accept speakers, do not know if Bachmann is now using sound ready tenders on all their engines or not. It would be easier to upgrade it they used the same tenders on all, not just the sound equipped engines.

The newer 4-4-0 engine has a tender that is predrilled for sound, at least this engine is sound friendly.
Pacific Northern

jbsmith

Another option would be the MRC Symphony77 for train sounds.

Just google it up or see the MRC site for details.

Nothing too fancy or complicated but it will give you sounds.