Are Cabooses really required for short trains?

Started by Loco722, September 05, 2009, 08:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa Fe buff

- Joshua Bauer

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: trainsrock on September 05, 2009, 10:00:20 PM
I am modeling the fictional BNSF Freemont Subdivision which is set in 1997, I am planning on either 1 or 2 ATSF cabooses and maybe 1 BN caboose and 1 BNSF caboose so obviously I agree with ebtbob on what he said.

cody

I agree with Cody and Bob. I just like cabooses.  :)

Especially "bobbers" for short hauls, and "drovers'" style for mixed trains.  :)

rogertra

Quote from: Woody Elmore on September 07, 2009, 08:58:11 AM
I was once told by a former PRR employee who worked in a signal tower that "trains" had a caboose and may or may not been scheduled. Moving a group of freight cars without a caboose was called a "move." The move may have had a flag in the coupler or not, depending on the railroad.

I think caboose rules varied from railroad to railroad although I'm sure there were FRA rules.

According to the rule book, what makes a "train" is NOT the caboose it's the marker lights or EOT device.  Add marker lights to the caboose or an EOT to the end of a cut of cars and you have a train.  Remove the marker lights or the EOT and you have a cut of cars.  Them's the rules.

Santa Fe buff

Very good research Roger, I've copied that down on a notebook, no, just in my mental memory.

If a real marker is required, I've been pulling a cut of cars all my life! :D (It's a joke since all of my cabooses don't have light-up makers, though I'm tempted with Tomar's working caboose markers.)

Hey, Roger, what does it say about the flag in the coupler thing? Does that mark a train, or just put on a cut of cars?

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

rogertra

Quote from: Santa Fe buff on September 09, 2009, 12:28:57 PM
Very good research Roger, I've copied that down on a notebook, no, just in my mental memory.

If a real marker is required, I've been pulling a cut of cars all my life! :D (It's a joke since all of my cabooses don't have light-up makers, though I'm tempted with Tomar's working caboose markers.)

Hey, Roger, what does it say about the flag in the coupler thing? Does that mark a train, or just put on a cut of cars?

Joshua

Flag in coupler equates to a marker light.

lirrman

I love cabooses on my HO railroad.  When I see the caboose emerge from the tunnel I know I have the whole train.
LIRRMAN

RAM

In my world a train is not a train with out a caboose.

Robertj668

I love Cabooses! 
I would put a caboose on the Acella Express if I could.  Only Kidding!

RAM

Santa Fe buff

- Joshua Bauer

Robertj668

Santafeuff
I would say Bay Windows.  But the Bobber is cool too.

LIRRMan
Does that stand for Long Island Rail Road? If it does, cool!

Robert