News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

christmas train??

Started by whatsamatteru, September 06, 2009, 01:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatsamatteru

wanted to buy a christmas train for my son.  seems like the north pole is the only one in existence.  man  what they make a  million of the things.  was wondering if bachmann had one or any other alternatives.  thanks

RAM

Do a Google search on ho scale christmas train (or what ever scale you want)

Joe Satnik

Dear wsmu,

What scale are you looking for?

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

You must mean "Polar Express" by Lionel then. 

Williams by Bachmann doesn't seem to have Christmas themed trains.   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

whatsamatteru

no i meant north pole central. polar xpress has its own thing.  guess i will have to buy that piece of crap made thing

Terry Toenges

You can make you own.
Here are some ideas -
http://www.sarget.com/xmastrain04.html
http://www.sarget.com/trains/xmlayout-06/xmastrain06.html
Flats, gondolas, and hoppers can be filled with mini presents, candy canes, christmas trees, mini toys, jingle bells, Santas, reindeer, elves, small ornaments, or whatever.
Get some Christmasy stickers for locos, cabooses, box cars, and passenger cars or cut out pieces of old Christmas cards to glue on. Drape passenger cars in miniature garland.
Use your imagination.
Perhaps your son would enjoy a father and son project of making your own Christmas train.
Feel like a Mogul.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Terry Toenges link=topic=10336.msg85651#msg85651Perhaps your son would enjoy a father and son project of making your own Christmas train.

I think that's a wonderful idea.  :)

Last Christmas I did the same thing as you did, filled an old-time gondola with minipresents (well, compared to the HO-scale people, they were really ginormous presents!).

Where did you ever find the elves?

Woody Elmore

Long ago, my friend had his girl friend to his little apartment before Christmas. Running around, under his pathetic Charly Brown tree, he had a diesel pulling a flat car. On the flat car was a box containing an engagement ring!

You can put little Christmas items in gons, hoppers or flat cars. The fact that the train isn't a Christmas train won't be noted, especially by children.

I was glad to hear from a friend with whom I had lost touch years ago. He still puts his Lionel Santa Fe passenger train under his tree every year. Then he dutifully replaces them in their original boxes. His grandson can't wait for the tradition to be passed on. This Lionel train was the ultimate Christmas trainset!  It was the dream of every boy!

Terry Toenges

Woody,
I'm really not sure where I got the elves. Maybe Walmart.
Feel like a Mogul.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Terry Toenges on September 10, 2009, 09:34:05 PM
Woody,
I'm really not sure where I got the elves. Maybe Walmart.

Walmart?  ???

I thought elves came from the North Pole. ...  ;)

;D

Terry Toenges

Since there is so little work for them in the North Pole in the summer, Walmart negotiated a worker sharing agreement with Santa. Then, due to Walmart's recently instituted policy against slave labor, they had to sell them to individuals rather than forcing the elves to return to their slave-like life in the North Pole. Now, they enjoy a life of leisure, just kind of hanging around on model railroads and posing for pictures.
Feel like a Mogul.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Terry Toenges on September 12, 2009, 10:01:02 AM
Since there is so little work for them in the North Pole in the summer, Walmart negotiated a worker sharing agreement with Santa. Then, due to Walmart's recently instituted policy against slave labor, they had to sell them to individuals rather than forcing the elves to return to their slave-like life in the North Pole. Now, they enjoy a life of leisure, just kind of hanging around on model railroads and posing for pictures.

Nice work if you can get it!  :D

SteamGene

Pricey and be careful, but Hawthorne Village has several Christmas trains in On30. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"