News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help in Upgrading my GP35 to sound

Started by yguy, September 09, 2009, 02:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yguy

What DCC and Sound card will fit into this model ? or can I just keep the original DCC and add sound by using another card?
I also have the 5009 and 6550 models as well.
DCC-Equipped EMD GP35
CP Multi Mark #5003

Jim Banner

Diesels can be quite difficult to add sound to.  They have very little space for installing a decoder and a speaker, so you usually end up cutting away weight to get them in.  This leads to less traction and less pulling power.

A better suggestion for diesels is to put a sound system in a dummy locomotive.  Then you have lots of room and improved sound because you can use a bigger speaker or multiple speakers, and a larger baffle.  Road diesels are almost always run two or more together, especially on the CP.  And even switchers are often two older locomotives used together or cow-calf pairs.  If you can find a second CP locomotive that no longer runs, they make perfect sound cars as they already have pickup wheels for picking up power from the rails.  Then you can couple your sound car onto any locomotive you want to.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Nigel

Jim's suggestions are spot on.  You should also pick up a copy of the April issue of RMC for Larry Puckett's article starting on pg 80.

http://www.rrmodelcraftsman.com/images/covers-toc-keypicmags/2009/04/RMC0409Contents.pdf
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Robertj668

I have asked myself the same question about getting sound in my GP38-2's and such.  I am taking it as a personal quest to do it! Maybe not anytime soon, but I will do it.

Robert

yguy

I did email Frank at MRC and he suggested the following:
>>according to the info you sent the bachman loco already has a [power] decoder installed. you can use either 0001662 diesel sound only decoder or the 0001666 diesel sound only decoder
either of these will piggy back onto your existing decoder...only two wire hook up<<
Has anyone done this upgrade and if so, please evaluate installation and sound.

The other product I found was the motion/light replacement for the original engine's decoder == but I think that there is no sound in the NCE decoder.
again feedback to the question would be appreciated

NCE DecoderBachDSL

I located the article from the RRMC mag from the local library on decoder installation - excellent pics and walkthru.

Robertj668

yguy

I guess you can try it out and let us  know how it went.  I am on vacation this week and had great plans to start many new projects. One of them was to do sound in one of my GP38-2's  Unfortunately last minute Surgery on my neck has placed me out of commission for several weeks and that will not allow me to do much but type.

I have installed a couple of the MRC's one being a 1662 and the other being the 1666.  The one on my ALCO FA-1 by Trainline LIRR was easy as I had extra room to put in everything.  The other was on my Burlington #11704 By Bachmann.  That proved to be a lot of work.  Again  with great help from the people on the website i was able to complete the task. The post should still e up here somewhere.

I will be honest I did piggy back on to the existing decoder.  Though I bet I should of done more.  But it did work for me and I have had no problems.  But I do not run them everyday.  Youtube had a few good videos that I have seen.
And Jim Banner's advice is always spot on too.

The MRC's sound for Diesels are good for the price. Under $45. Steam is nice but then listen to the MRC next to a Tsunami and wow theres a difference.

Tsunami's are great Stream or Diesel!  Also twice the price too in some cases.

I hope some of this information helps.

Robert

PS Also Model railroader has some great books on this too!

yguy

Instead of upgrading my engine to sound, I bought an EMD F9B locomotive with sound unit and plan to consist it with my GP 35 engine.
Intermountain  49590S unit- works great and has a QSI sound card !!
I found out that my Bachmann engine has a Lenz decoder .