News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

engines making noise

Started by full maxx, December 11, 2009, 07:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full maxx

I received the new set and a new engine last week and ran them just a few times each around the oval and after the few laps both started making a grinding/scraping sound, everything is new and they were not pulling any cars , just the engine and tenders...do they need to be serviced/oiled and greased , I read on hear that Spectrum kinda over does it in the lube department , so I would not think they would need to be serviced as they are both new ...also what type of file is used to file the tips of the track to prevent the tiny bump at connections
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

jonathan

FM,

You didn't mention what engine you had, other than the tender part. So, I will assume you have some kind of steamer.

My 2-8-0 Consolidations, and 4-4-0, made a funny noise after running for a little while.  I found the culprit to be the pilot trucks.  They are inside bearing wheels and were not lubricated.  A drop of conductalube solved my noise issue.  While your at it, a little light oil on the drive rods couldn't hurt.  Those areas are not lubed at the factory.  The inside usually receives copious amounts of gear oil. 

My engines made more of a scraping noise.  I wouldn't call it grinding.  Someone else may have experience with that.

As far a tracks go, I like the clickity-clack sound going over the rail joint, so I didn't file.  Usually filing leads to grooves, which leads to dirt build up.  Just an opinion...

Regards,

Jonathan

CNE Runner

FM - I don't know if this will apply; but my Plymouth MDT made quite a bit of noise when I first got the engine. This is a new product so I figured a good run-in would cure the problem...it didn't. I removed the body and noticed that the frame halves were held together by screws. I also noticed that the gear train was quite loose. By tightening the frame screws (be careful - not too tight) most of the noise was eliminated.

I also have a Mantua 0-6-0T (new run) that sounds like it is grinding coffee beans as it goes down the track. It is the next candidate for disassembly/lube/tightening. Hopefully it will quiet down as well.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

full maxx

sorry the engines are the consolidated 2-8-0 and the Pere Marquette 2-8-4 , both are Bachmann, new and made about 3-4 lapes each on the oval that came with the New York Express set...so the little tiny bumps at the rail joiners won't hurt anything
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

jonathan

Gotcha,

The hard part will figuring out if your noises come from the outside or inside of the engine.  Outside is easier.

Not sure what you  mean by tiny bumps on the end of your track pieces.

Jonathan

full maxx

where two pieces of track meet...it creates a little bump where the track does not meet perfect because of tiny variances in manufacturing/floor- table  surface conditions

jonathan

I believe that would be a question of taste.  Some prefer to go for perfect smoothness.  Some prefere a little noise when the train goes over the rail joints.  What you are talking about, wouldn't create any running problems for your trains.

J

full maxx