White Lithium Grease is Lieu of Bachmann product

Started by armorsmith, September 11, 2009, 09:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armorsmith

I recently purchased an older 36 Ton 2 Truck 3 Cylinder Shay and just finished watching the VHS tape that came with the loco.  All of the products that are used in the video are Bachmann of course.  I have been using white lithium on my other mfgrs products without issue.  Can I use this product instead of Bachmann's?

Bob C.

on30gn15

"Plastic Compatible" are the life and death words.
If it doesn't say that, it's out before anything else is even considered.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Barry BBT

Bachmann uses a white grease from the factory and you can be sure it is not white lithium.  It is much like a face cream.

There are other greases to use.  I supply a SuperLube with new drives, which is a synthetic grease.  Avoid petroleum based products.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

Old John

A good substitute is the grease sold in pool supply stores for lubricating the plastic valves on hot tube and pools.  It's plastic compatible, will not separate under high heat, repels water, is clear, doesn't stain and best of all it sells for about $2.00 for a couple of ounces.

NarrowMinded

white lithium has caused gears to get brittle and crack, i do't no what reaction causes this but it seems to really affect white plastics

altterrain

When I picked up a pair of shay trucks for a kitbash project, one truck had white grease on the gears and the other had thick gear lube on it. Go figure!
Pick up a set of Woodland Scenics Hob-E-Lubes. It has 2 dry, 3 viscosities of oil and two greases. Everything you might need and all plastic safe.

-Brian
President of