News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Big Haulers

Started by newbee, September 02, 2009, 01:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newbee

I found a train in my mother's house when we moved her a few years ago.  I have no idea what it is or what it is worth.  I don' t think it has ever been out of the box.  The box says Bachmann big haulers  Golden Classics series  South Pacific Coast Sunset Route  Limited Edition.  Someone had written 1930 on the box, but I'M not sure how old it is.  Anyone have an idea what I have?  

altterrain

The Big Hauler line has been made for about 20 years.
Depending on the age, condition and rarity (usually not much of a factor) used sets go for $40 on the low end to over a $100 on the high end. The older the loco the less its value as the earlier versions had weaker gearing (there have been 5 versions of the drivetrain in the loco).
Loco Bill can give you more precise info on the vintage of the set.

-Brian
President of

Loco Bill

Newbee, Your set was introduced in the fall of 1993 and 3600 were made as a limited run.    The chassis is a version 2 which was the first electric track powered version.

While the gear system on these was poor, careful operation and lubrication will extend the life.   The highest prices I have seen on Ebay for this set was $235.  The fact that it is pristine condition does help when selling.  The market is poor right now so it is hard to guess what your set would really bring.   I have seen it sell for as low as $98 on Ebay.

Enjoy your new find.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products