News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

55 ton three track shay

Started by artgib, September 12, 2009, 05:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artgib

Just opened a New Three truck shay with Tsunami sound etc. Do not have dcc unit yet.
Ran on dc linear power. When throttle in forward, the rear light is on and when reverse
the front light is on. When in forward and throttle depressed the engine ran fine but had three toots as in reverse. What is the problem.

artgib

Got my own reply. Hooked up a Digitrax DCC setup today on test track and the lights worked as they are supposed to work. Found out by looking at the Tsunami manual that all of the CV's can be adjusted to increase the sound of the effects that are available on the decoder. Took me a little while to get hooked up but now cannot wait to get to NW Mall on Sat to really put the engine to the test.

artgib

I remeber seeing a topic saying the rear truck of the 55 ton Shay has a tendecy to lift off the track when put in reverse or going over some swithecs or curves.
  Mine did that yesterday at the mall and we put some extra weight on the rear tender and it sovled the problem. I plan on putting a little more lead in rear car and it will solve the problem
   Only problem i am having is getting Tsunali Board to increas CV values.

glennk28

If you want to take advantage of the Tsunami without going to DCC right away--MRC has a controller called "The Black Box" that will allow you to activate the sounds.  gj

jparis153d

I recently ordered the 3 truck 55 ton, product code 82496 and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. It's listed as "DCC Ready" and as I understand it, that means it is pre-wired to accept a decoder, aka Plug and Play.

The first million dollar question is whether or not this is compatible with Aristocraft's new 2.4 mHz TE Revolution? I've searched and searched and the answer hasn't jumped out at me, I read in a Garden Railways article that it was.

Second, I've read that there are some discrepancies with the wiring schematic, any idea of what wiring problems I can expect?

And lastly, overall opinion about the Shay's operation, reliability, etc?

Thanks for your time,
Jim

Jon D. Miller

Jim,
The three truck Shay is, as stated, DCC ready.  It's not exactly plug and play as the K-27 or 2-6-6-2T with their socket.

Documentation supplied with the Shay has a page that addresses DCC wiring connections.

Two of our club members have installed the Revolution system in their locomotives.  Both had been running Airwire.  They both prefer the Revolution.  Both members indicated that installation of the Revolution was not complicated and took minimal time to instal.  At the last several club functions both of these Shays operated flawlessly with the Revolution.

One additional club member has purchased a Revolution system for his Shay based on the experience of the first two members.

Not sure about comments regarding the wiring schematic.  I've installed an Aristo-Craft 27Mhz mini on-board receiver in my Shay.  The on-board is powered by battery.  Also installed a RCS Basic 3 in a Shay for a fellow club member.  Did not find any problem with the supplied wire diagrams.

I've had my three truck in operation since December 2006.  I've found it to be a good runner and have yet to experience any operational problems with the locomotive. 

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)