New Bachmann HO 01306 Spectrum Explorer only runs backwards!

Started by Dr. Jay, September 12, 2009, 06:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jay

Just set the train up this morning. Everything connected fine - but locomotive will only run backwards. Voltage to track is correct in forward and reverse - but it only moves in reverse. Headlight does not work either - only a momentary glow when first switched to reverse. (I assume that headlight is programed not to operate in reverse??) Please offer any suggestions before I return the locomotive. Thanks!
- jay

simkon

Bachmann locos typically have directional lighting, so the front headlight will not light while going backwards. I have 2 questions, so I can help you more. It is DCC equipped correct? Are you running it with DCC or standard DC? My first thought is that that the 8-pin plug is in the wrong way, try switching it around. With Bachmann decoders typically the red wire goes to pin one if I remember correctly.

Dr. Jay

Thanks so much for trying to help! Yes, the locomotive is DCC capable but running in analog only (is that DC?). The locomotive has two connectors going to the tender - which appears to have the electrical pickup to the tracks (?) but I don't know if the interconnect can be reversed - or if it is relevant if not running DCC.

simkon

Open up the tender, by unscrewing the 2 screws on the bottom of the tender. Then pop it off and check the decoder installation to make sure all the wires are correct, they could be reversed.

Dr. Jay

Thanks Simkon, I will try. Is there a color code to know the correct installation?
There are also two small jumpers in a plastic bag that reads: For dummy plug installation. Do they apply here?
Best,
jay

simkon

If you will only be running it on straight DC power, you can install the jumpers as instructed, and you can save the decoder or even sell it (if it works). Try putting in the jumpers and see what happens...

Dr. Jay

Thanks again. I appreciate your courtesy and helpfulness! Trying...
jay

Dr. Jay

I reversed the decoder installation - causing the locomotive to only run forwards! Then I installed the jumpers and removed the decoder - and everything works fine. Obviously a faulty decoder. I'll try to exchange the decoder under the warranty. Thanks again for the troubleshooting and good advice!
jay

simkon

I think the issue with the decoder is not it being defective, but it sounds like a wire or two may be switched, only allowing it to run in one direction. At least it works now:)
But, I don't think you can just send in the decoder, you may have to send in the whole loco, you could ask "the Bachmann" and find out.  8)

Jim Banner

There are no wires that you can switch to make a decoder run in only one direction and not create other obvious problems.  The usual culprit is failure of one of the four output transistors that control the motor or possibly one of the drivers in the IC that controls those transistors.  Neither of these is something you want to try repairing yourself when warranty is available, and even without warranty you would have to be repairing a large number to save enough to pay for the specialized equipment involved.

If you are happy with the way it is now running, by all means leave the jumpers in place and look into replacing just the decoder.  It might prove handy to have in the future if you ever decide to go to DCC or you want to sell the locomotive.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

simkon

You're right Jim, I wasn't thinking, my apologies Dr. Jay. I tend not to think well or at all if I get up at 5 AM.

Dr. Jay

You are all so helpful and supportive of novices. I'm impressed. And Simkon, that was still not bad advice - it did fix the problem - although I will listen to Jim and return the loco under warranty. (Not bad for 5 am thinking!)
Thanks,
jay

Jim Banner

Do you mean to tell me there is a 5 o'clock in the morning too?  Sixty-six years and I never knew  ;D ;D

Jim

Dr. Jay

I agree it's better not to know until you grow up!  ;)
jay

Jim Banner

Ha ha.  Then I guess I will never have to worry about it.  I have no intention of ever growing up.

Seriously, the three most common questions I hear when showing layouts at train shows etc. are "How much did it cost?" " How long did it take to build?"  and "How did you get started in the hobby?"  The first two questions I try to avoid, just in case the answers ever got back to my wife.  But my stock answer for the third question is "When I was a little boy, lots of little boys got train sets for Christmas.  It is just that the rest of them grew up."

Jim