DD40

Started by BillHenry, September 16, 2009, 06:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillHenry

are these just too old? looking for general info

Jim Banner

Too old for what?

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jward

the dd40, as in the locomotive athearn put out, was planned but never built. it is similar in overall layout to the earlier dd35 which had a cabbed (a unit) version, sold only to union pacific, and an uncabbed b unit version which both union pacific and southern pacific bought. the dd35s were produced in the mid 1960s and lasted to the late 1970s.

the dda40x, as done by bachmann, was a custom locomotive that only union pacific owned. there were 47, built from 1969 to 1971, and they lasted in service until the mid 1980s. union pacific has retained one for excursion service, but it has been known to haul freight like the good old days when they are short on locomotives.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Santa Fe buff

An interesting one was No. 6918, had a siren instead of a horn.  :)

It was equipped for experimental purposes.

-Link 1
-Link 2
-Link 3

I would love to see someone try to do that on a Bachmann DD40AX.

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Jim Banner

Might not be all that hard, using a sound decoder where you can put together your own sound files.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Santa Fe buff

Yes, yes. Good idea. There are plenty of siren recordings and sounds that can be put together, I will have to try to research it more. Due to the fact this locomotive's siren is so rare, and scare, prototypical sounds are likely not to be even available.

Cheers,
Joshua

EDIT: I have some more information found, it's electronic, and sounded similar to a police siren, I'm going for either a Whelen or Federal Signal sound.

http://www.utahrails.net/up/up-loco-features.php#airhornssireins
- Joshua Bauer

jward

joshua,
have you tried don strack's utah rails website? don is the definitive expert on union pacific diesels, especially in the era before the missouri pacific/western pacific merger in 1982.

http://utahrails.net/index.php
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

glennk28

There's a good article on the DD's in the current issue of Railfan & Railroad magazine--mine just came yesterday--gj

Santa Fe buff

jward,
Thanks, yes, Don Stack is a very knowledgeable man. I will contact him if I ever get a chance to do this project.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer