News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Shay vs. Climax motor block

Started by armorsmith, September 13, 2009, 06:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armorsmith

I recently purchased the 2 truck 36 t 3 cylinder 36 ton Shay P/N 81196 and the 25 ton Climax P/N 81180. These were advertised as NIB, however when I opened the Climax there was no video or DVD.  The instruction book shows the lubrication points, but is small enough, some are hard to see. Do both these locos use the same motor block? From the pictures in the small book, it appears they do.

Thanks in advance.

Bob C.

glennk28

If not identical, they are similar enough to need lubricating at the same places.  Just be sure to use plastic-compatible lubricants.  gj

Jon D. Miller

As Glennk28 mentions the motor blocks are similar, but not the same.  Internal lubrication of either locomotive's motor block would be the same.

External lubrication will be a matter of looking closely at the Climax and lubricating any moving parts.  Use a light oil, such as Bachmann EZ Lube or other plastic compatable oil.

One lubrication point on the Climax that most folks miss is the center gear case. This is the case where the front and rear dirve shafts attach.  It may take a flash light to find, but there is a hole, centered in the top of the gear case.  Five or six drops of your lubricating oil should be put in this hole.  The gears that drive the cross shaft are in this center gear case and they require lubrication. 

Other than that one point that is easy to overlook, all other lubrication points are rather evident.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

armorsmith

Jon,

Thanks a heap for the tip on the center gearbox.  I didn't see any location for this while I was searching and lubricating every movable joint I could find.  I have been using the two lubricants from Labelle.  The heavier 102 I have been using on gearing, cylinder rods, drive shafts, etc. The lighter 107 on the valve gear and parts that move 'less' or have smaller amounts of stress on them.  I started to use the white lithium (which states on the tube 'For use on metal to plastic applications.', but was advised not to do so.  Unfortunately, I believe the Climax was run 'some' before I purchased it, even though it was sold as NIB.  The truck gear boxes were already fairly heavily loaded with a white grease of some kind.  I removed any excess.

Bob C.