News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z Command system

Started by Canen Art, September 15, 2009, 04:43:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canen Art

I recently purchased a Bachmann E-Z Command power supply with a DCC loco ready to roll.  Now I in countered a problem and I'm wondering what's the best option.  I was able to program the train to #1 and I can even turn the lights off and on, but I think the control speed knob is defective.  I can't get the train to go forwards or reverse.  I disconnect the new DCC E-Z Command power supply and hook back up the old DC power pack and the train runs fine.  So I know the train is good, I've checked my tracks with my volt meter and I have power at every section.  I really think the control speed knob is defective.  Now do I fill out the warranty card and then wait to send the power supply in or do I take it back to the store I purchased it from?  They don't have any more of these E-Z Command power supply's.  I bought the last one.  Maybe Bachmann can help me out on this question. 

Best Regards,

Jason :)

simkon

Your decoder could be defective. Check and see if it runs on any other address including 10. You can't return it to the store you purchased it from, if it indeed is defective, within a week of your purchase send in the warranty card, then you can contact the service department about the EZ-command. Also you may have done something to cause trhis problem which would void the warranty. For example did you have it plugged into the outlet first and plugged the other end into the EZ command second?

Jim Banner

Jason,
I am assuming you bought your E-Z Command from a hobby shop or other train dealer.  He may not have any more E-Z Commands left, but he may have another DCC system available to him.  If so, he should be able to reset the decoder for you.  Sometimes that is all it takes when the decoder appears to not want to accept programming.

One other thought - there is a slight difference between the manual and the video when it comes to putting the E-Z Command into program mode.  The video on the DVD is correct.

simkon,
Good thought about being procedure, but it is not a problem (in this case) of plugging things together in the wrong order.  The reason for that particular precaution is that the power plug is a type that occasionally shorts just as you insert it into the power jack.  A momentary short would not normally be a problem, except that the wall wart power supply has an internal fuse that can blow very quickly.  The fuse is there to protect the electronics in the E-Z Command.  If it gets blown by a procedural error, nothing works.  In Jason's case we know that is not a problem because the lights still work.

One thing neither of us asked Jason was whether his locomotive worked on address 3 before he tried to change addresses.  If it did, then the problem was likely caused by some procedural error.  If it did not, then there is a good likelihood that there is a problem in the electronics of the E-Z Command unit.  Although it is not emphasized in the manual, that is the reason we normally test run a DCC onboard locomotive before doing any programming - so we at least know if the decoder is working right out of the box.

Jason - what say you about how it ran before reprogramming?

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Canen Art

I was wondering that too, but it wouldn't do anything on address 3 either.  I followed the instructions to a T.  I could never get the train to move on any of the addresses.  I was able to turn the lights off and on on address 3.  So then I wan't to see if it would let me change it, and sure enough I could change the address to any of them.  It would jolt when I knew it accepted it.  Then I could go to that address and turn the lights off and on too. 

Here is something else that was strange.  That's why I'm really thinking it's the E-Z command unit.  When I followed the instruction for putting a DC train on the tracks, and the instant I got the wheels on the train wanted to take off running and it was lit up like a Christmas tree.  So I took it off right away.  Lucky it is still ok.  So I'm really thinking something is wrong with the E-Z Command unit. 

Best Regards,

Jim Banner

It sounds like it might be the command station, particularly as the locomotive jerked when you were programming it.  This generally indicates that the motor is okay and that the decoder can produce an output.  There are, however, some CV's that could be incorrectly set.  These include CV03 which controls the acceleration rate - if set too high, it can take a very long time before the locomotive reaches speed.  And if CV02 is also set too low, it can be a very long time before the locomotive even starts to move.  Thus the suggestion to have the seller reset the decoder for you if he/she has the equipment.

You can see dc locomotives taking off the moment they hit the rails even with a command station that is working perfectly.  All that is required is that the analogue address (10 on the E-Z Command) be selected, the speed control turned up to maximum speed, and then another address be selected.  That leaves the analogue address running at full speed.  If you put a locomotive on the rails at this time, it will indeed take off quickly with lights ablazing.  Other DCC systems that let you run analogue (dc) locomotives will do the same thing.  Some brands eliminate the problem but not allowing you to run analogue locomotives under any circumstances, whether you want to or not.  I cannot remember whether the E-Z Command manual tells you to select address 10, then turn the speed control to zero, and finally put the locomotive on the track or if it tells you to put the locomotive on the track then select address 10, or what.

Jim

Canen Art

Well guess what.  It was the E-Z command unit.  The store owner had one in back he let me swap him with and I just hooked it up and put it on channel 2, where I set my train to lastnight and turned the dial up, and away went my train.  I tried it in reverse too and it worked great.  I'm as happy as a little boy on Christmas morning.  Amazing how something like that can be defective right out of the box.  The owner told me this would be the first one that has been since he's been selling them.  Seems I always find the bad ones.  :)

Thanks again for all your imput.  It was very helpful.

Best Regards,

Jim Banner

Good news that you are up and running!

Electronics is amazingly reliable, especially considering the huge number of component parts inside each integrated circuit.  But every once in a while ...

Jim