News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ho locomotive storage

Started by quark51, April 11, 2021, 03:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quark51

What is the best way to store locomotives for a while? Will below freezing weather bother them? The locomotive are mostly steamer and a few diesels?

Gabuskirk

I always kept mine out of cold weather. If your going to store them I would wrap them up in newspaper or something weather proof to keep moisture away from them.

jonathan

One problem with plastic models:  plastic and metal shrink and expand at different rates in cold and warm weather.  While the model may withstand cold storage, some pieces may break loose due to uneven shrinkage. Individual parts probably won't break, but you could have some separation from pieces that are glued together.  Putting parts in a freezer is an old trick to separate parts that are uncooperative.

The last time I moved, I found a friend who was willing to keep a few boxes of my most precious pieces in his basement for a while.

I tend to store locos and rolling stock in their original packaging. Usually line the bottom of a moving box with something squishy to prevent shock from jostling.

Regards,

Jonathan