News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Proto 2000 shell removal

Started by robbs, September 17, 2009, 08:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbs

I don't know of any good general model railroading forums so I have to ask this here. I've got a Proto 2000 GP38-2 (Life-Like) and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the shell off to lubricate the gears and what not.

The instructions say to "remove the coupler boxes" so I did that and then to "remove the two black screws as shown in the chassis diagram." Of course they couldn't just tell you or mark in the diagram specifically which two screws to remove as there are 6 on the underside of the chassis and 2 of which you can't get at with the trucks being in the way. I'm at a loss so can anyone assist me on the matter?

robbs

Nevermind I found it. As it turns out it was the 2 screws hidden underneath the trucks after all. I discovered this after breaking the rear truck off while trying to pull the shell off. So now my simple lubrication job on a brand new engine resulted in a non functioning piece of crap. I've had better reliability with my ancient "lower quality" engines.

Edit: After a cooler head prevailed, I was able to re-solder a broken wire, reassemble the truck, and restore the loco to working order on the mainline. However I'm still not happy with the vague directions.