News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ungluing glue joint

Started by Paul M., April 09, 2007, 06:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryB

Paul:

I haven't used them for the exact purpose you describe, but I think the #11 Xacto-style sawblades would work. See them on Micro-Mark's site at:
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Department&ID=28

Take a look at MM part numbers on that page:

14346: 0.010" thick with 40 teeth / inch
14347: 0.010" thick with 30 teeth / inch (probably best for your application)
14348: 0.015" thick with 24 teeth / inch

While the plastic solvents might work on new or thin joints, they will also attack the plastic and potentially damage your building beyond use. These saws cut a really thin kerf and can get into very tight places.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

pdlethbridge

I used the #11 blade to gently scribe the edge. Bend a little, scribe a little, keep doing this til it breaks free

Paul M.

Today I took the building out of the freezer... The freezer method worked fairly well, except for the fact that on side of the building snapped in three pieces.  :-\Oh well...  that's what model glue's for... I hope   

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

WoundedBear

Did the pieces just crack or are they broken completely? Cracks in walls could be repaired by taping the wall section flat and flowing a little bit of liquid cement along the crack from the back side. Sorry to have created further problems for you.

Sid

Paul M.

They broke off completely, but don't worry... I glued them back together once I seperated the two portions of walls from each other...

When I get the backdrop installed on my layout ( which should be sometime around this summer), I'll take pictures of the walls installed as flats and mounted to the backdrop. Throw in some junk and weeds around the building and you have the fictional " Surplus 49"  8)

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific