News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

american 4-4-0

Started by 112040025, September 16, 2009, 08:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaltoOhioRRfan

i've got 5 of those little guys, both of the Bachmann B&O ones, the Jupiter, Winter Tyme Express, and the Disney one. All run just fine IMO. They will run at prototypical speeds no problem. (well my WInter Tyme Express one was bought used and i'm trying to clean it and give it some TLC. IT wasnt cared for that well. I might just buy a new one and swap shells)

Since they have traction tires on em. i dont think they would slip much with loads. Mine are limited to 4-5 of the Roundhouse Overland cars(B&O and Jupiter) and for Disney and Winter time they pull what came in thier sets.

I'm dying to get my hands on the civil war sets, and i almost had em to, both were sealed for $250 for both.  I had to run home and get some $$ when  i got back they were gone :'(  I wish Bachmann would redo these sets even if it was a limited time thing. I see on ebay a guy wants $450 for both....little high imo. Id say maybe $150 each at the max. i think the sets orginally only sold for $60 didnt they?
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Terry Toenges

slippage-
No slippage that I could tell. It's all in the traction tires.
Appearances can be deceiving. People have a tendency to judge the performance by the appearance - "Why that little thing couldn't pull all those cars."
The reason I performed the test was because of comments such as the one above.
The only complaint I have is that the 4-4-0's are a little noisy.
Feel like a Mogul.

jonathan

I agree, whole heartedly.

A little noisy, but otherwise a solid runner.  Can pull more cars than the prototype would have.

These poor little engines get a bad rap for some reason.  They are what they were meant to be:  an inexpensive engine that appeals to a broad audience.

They weren't meant to be Spectrum quality--apples and oranges in my opinion.  They're cute, they run, and they're a little fun.  I'll get off my soap box now, before I break into haiku.

Regards,

Jonathan

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Terry Toenges on September 19, 2009, 11:36:10 AM
To add to that - The 29 cars it is pulling are stock Bachmann, Mantua, and Roundhouse old time cars. No special couplers or wheels.
The loco is stock with the motor in the tender from one of the Civil War sets.
I could even stop it and start it on the 2% grade part.
If anyone has any doubts - try it.

That must be a record in tonnage!  :D

I bet the "original" rarely, if ever, pulled 29 cars.  ;)

CNE Runner

Jeff, you are so correct. If the N.D.& C's 4-4-0s ever pulled more than 10 - 12 cars Mr. Kimball (the Road Superintendant in the late 1800s) would have jumped for joy. It must be fun stopping 29 cars on a 2% grade with only one air pump and the brakies running across the tops of the cars. These old timers used saturated steam to boot!

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: CNE Runner on September 22, 2009, 04:53:58 PM
Jeff, you are so correct. If the N.D.& C's 4-4-0s ever pulled more than 10 - 12 cars Mr. Kimball (the Road Superintendant in the late 1800s) would have jumped for joy.

Being confined to a small "semipermanent" layout, that's one of the reasons I like 19th-century trains: A short consist still looks prototypical and proportional on a small layout.

CNE Runner

Good point Jeff. Now all I have to do is get you 'converted' to micro layouts! My Monks' Island Brewery micro is slowly taking shape, however the Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut will arise from the ashes again someday...I love modeling the late 19th century!

Ray

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: CNE Runner on September 23, 2009, 06:29:08 PM
Good point Jeff. Now all I have to do is get you 'converted' to micro layouts! My Monks' Island Brewery micro is slowly taking shape, however the Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut will arise from the ashes again someday...I love modeling the late 19th century!

Ray

Ray, if your "micro" layouts are switching layouts, I'm afraid conversion isn't going to happen. Running trains is one way I relax, so I just to want to "fire up" a locomotive, tie a consist to her tail, and watch her run. I'm afraid I'm not much interested in a layout that's going to require me to think while I run it; that would defeat the purpose of the hobby for me.  :D  ;)

Jeff

CNE Runner

I hear you Jeff. Micro layouts are generally switching operations...not your cup of tea. No matter as there are plenty of options within our hobby to suit everyone. I should mention that some of the concepts (sector plates and transversers) could be used on larger continuous run layouts.

Once you retire, from a very active live, you need some 'forced thinking' to keep the old gray cells active. I sure wish you lived closer - so you could help a 'buddy of the rails' engineer and construct two transfer tables (transversers).

Take care...'good talking to you again,
Ray

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: CNE Runner on September 24, 2009, 05:17:22 PM
I hear you Jeff. Micro layouts are generally switching operations...not your cup of tea. No matter as there are plenty of options within our hobby to suit everyone. I should mention that some of the concepts (sector plates and transversers) could be used on larger continuous run layouts.

Once you retire, from a very active live, you need some 'forced thinking' to keep the old gray cells active. I sure wish you lived closer - so you could help a 'buddy of the rails' engineer and construct two transfer tables (transversers).

Take care...'good talking to you again,
Ray

That's very kind of you, Ray, but since I can barely hammer a nail straight, I doubt I'd be much help in construction!  ;D

Jeff

jayo

I have about 5.  Two are the Jupiter and 119, got them in the mid-90s, and were handled a bit rough.  I'm pretty sure they're out of commission now.  Other ones are a PRR, B&O, and the Lily Belle, which were acquired fairly recently.  I've been running them conservatively, inside the house rather than a garage.  They're somewhat noisy, but run very nicely.

I personally like the IHC/Rivarossi ones, but their worm shafts tend to pop out, disengaging them!  Although the Bachmann ones are not like those or the Spectrum ones, they are great recreations of those of the 1860's.  And with proper care, can run just as nicely!