News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-4-0

Started by 112040025, September 16, 2009, 09:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

does bachman make 4-4-0 that comes with the old time train cars?
what is the point of going fast. you are just going in circles!

the Bach-man

Dear 11,
We make several- check the On-line catalog.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Santa Fe buff

Roundhouse makes many great old time passenger cars. My friend Ryan has a Bachmann 4-4-0 with Roundhouse passenger cars, they look great together.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

simkon

They make several 4-4-0 steam engines, but they don't have any old-time freight or passenger cars.

Jim Banner

I suspect MDC Roundhouse would be surprised to hear that they are not manufacturing old time passenger cars.  Both the 50' Overland and 34' Overton cars announced for this fall are already dribbling into hobby shops.  There is an article comparing the new issue revised cars to the old Roundhouse cars at this link:
http://www.rrmodelcraftsman.com/tt_roundhouse_over.html

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

CNE Runner

Most of my collection of late 19th century rolling stock is from the Roundhouse stable. Unfortunately Horizon Hobbies (the owners of MDC/Roundhouse) have seen fit to discontinue the manufacture of Roundhouse kits. Sad really.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jonathan

It is indeed very sad.  At hobby shops and train shows the first treasures I look for are the Roundhouse kits.  Pickings have become slim.

Jonathan

Santa Fe buff

I think there might be a few at Hands to Work Model Railroading in Alsip, Illinois. They are a listed Horizon Hobby dealer. Ryan has the Overton cars, but in Santa Fe scheme, those are discontinued. I have an old time boxcar for Southern Pacific I faded and gave to Ryan. What company could have made it? It looked old, plastic everything, hook-horn couplers, and definitely not Bachmann.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

ebtnut

Mantua/Tyco also used to make cars appropriate to the old-time 4-4-0's.  They had both passenger and freight cars, designed to go with their model of "The General".  Probably have to find them at trains shows these days. 

CNE Runner

Jonathan - How right you are! We are able to markup our very few Roundhouse kits largely due to their rarity. What I wouldn't give for 10 or 15 undecorated Roundhouse Old Time boxcars.

Josh - That box car could have come from Poucher, Rivorossi, Mantua, or AHM. I have 'old time' rolling stock from all three. Poucher is usually marked as such on the car's bottom [Poucher - Italy]. I have some Rivorossi that is marked as such and some that isn't. Usually all AHM products, as well as Mantua, are marked (as are Bachmann).

Not much help I'm afraid,
Ray

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: ebtnut on September 17, 2009, 02:00:47 PM
Mantua/Tyco also used to make cars appropriate to the old-time 4-4-0's.  They had both passenger and freight cars, designed to go with their model of "The General".  Probably have to find them at trains shows these days. 

Model Power is still issuing some of the the Mantua/Tyco "1860" freight  and passenger cars, and the "1890" passenger cars, as part of its "Mantua Classics" series. Historic Rail lists them in its catalog, and you can find them on eBay regularly, as well as old, "real" Mantua/Tyco equipment.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Jim Banner on September 16, 2009, 11:38:10 PM
http://www.rrmodelcraftsman.com/tt_roundhouse_over.html

A comment on the linked article: The Pennsylvania Limited did not become the Broadway Limited. The Broadway Limited began life in 1902 as the Pennsylvania Special, an entirely different train than the Pennsylvania Limited, and was later renamed.

"Pennsylvania Special" was a rather old-fashioned--sounding name for a train. Unfortunately for the Pennsy, the New York Central had a more astute marketing department that came up with name "Twentieth Century Limited."  :D

rich1998

Quote from: CNE Runner on September 17, 2009, 08:02:48 AM
Most of my collection of late 19th century rolling stock is from the Roundhouse stable. Unfortunately Horizon Hobbies (the owners of MDC/Roundhouse) have seen fit to discontinue the manufacture of Roundhouse kits. Sad really.

Ray

they are nice i have some from him
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/RIVER-CITY-RAILROAD-RCR_36FT-OLD-TIME_W0QQ_fsubZ174146619QQ_sidZ287414219QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322
lex

CNE Runner

Lex - I checked out the website you included and was very impressed with the offerings. While these 'kits' look like the older Roundhouse ones, the directions are not Roundhouse directions (trust me as I have built a lot of these kits). They look really nice and have some unusual roadnames. If you are at all interested in Roundhouse (or Roundhouse like) kits; these are priced very inexpensively. When we do get Roundhouse Old Time kits to sell, they go for almost twice this price.

Ray

Santa Fe buff

Ray,
You were helpful. It's not Poucher. Anyway, we accidently broke a truck off of it when working with it. We're thinking on just buying some Kadee trucks, we are curious to see the out come.

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer