News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

About the D&S Big Hauler Set

Started by Alex Butner, September 17, 2009, 10:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Butner

Since I am relatively unfamiliar with the D&S set, I would like to ask some questions. Does this set have a 5th Generation 4-6-0 and a newer chassis? Also, does it have improved chuffing? And, does it smoke a lot? I am entering the Large Scale hobby and anticipate my purchase. I might get add-ons to the set if I like it enough. Thanks in advance for answering these questions.

Loco Bill

Both the freight version and passenger version D&S sets have the 4-6-0 with the version 5 chassis.   

There is no improvement in the sound and it is still the basic chuff chuff with no bell or whistle found in the earlier units.

I do not personally use smoke, but in observing others who do, I have to say that the smoke systems are basically the same as earlier  vrsions as well.

Don't let this put you off as the set you will get is a great set, with a great running locomotive as long as you take care of it.  There are modifications some have made to the sound, and others just add an aftermarket sound system.  Ther are also aftermarket smoke units that have been installed by others which do put out a little more smoke.

Soince you are getting a set, be sure if you expand to get a better power supply.   Also be sure to use the set track indoors only.

I know you will enjoy your set!!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Alex Butner

I'm getting the set on the first of October and I was wondering, is it the annie chuff sound or another type?

Peter O

All Big Haulers since the version 5 use the same simple sound card, Anniversary or otherwise. The earlier versions had a sound card had no more features but had a different circuit which provided a little more realisitic chuff effect.

Check George W. Schreyer's page below for more info and a ton of tips.

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips4/bachmann_sound_tips.html

Peter.

Alex Butner

Thank you, you are very helpful and it seems that G-scale will be easier and fun to have. Thanks for you help.

Alex Butner

By the way, I've heard that the smoke unit can mess up. Is this true or is it to scare me?

Loco Bill

If you leave it  on with no fluid in it it will burn out.   If it burns out there is usually no damage to the locomotive.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Alex Butner

I won't be getting it in October. I'm ran into a conflict and I don't know when I'll get it.

Alex Butner

I'm not getting the D&S Set. I'm getting the Summit Pass set from Bachmann's store instead. (Sorry for posting again in a thread that has been inactive for a month)