News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

derailing of pilot wheels on turnouts

Started by Udo, September 20, 2009, 12:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Udo

Hello together !

I often had problems with derailing on LGB turnouts (R3), when the engine "opens" the turnout itself.

In principle, these LGB turnouts are very convenient, because the engine itself can switch the turnout and runs in the other direction when it comes back (e.g. a 8 shape layout with two turnouts instead of a crossing).

My engines often derailed in a layout like that.

I found two different solutions, depending on the engine type:

1. K27 and 2-6-6-2
These engines have in principle quite similar systems to hold the pilot wheels down.
There is always a small pin which is supported inside or downside by a spring. That pin presses to the frame.
I just put another spring (stronger one) with inside diameter similar to the outside diameter of the pin outside on the pin, secured on top with a washer (inside diameter of the pin) and glued the washer to the pin.
The outside Spring is a little shorter than the pin, so it will work only, after the original spring already started. So you have something like a "progressive" spring.

It works perfect on both locos.

2. For others, e.G. Big haulers or 4-4-0 (American), in the forum always was recommended to use lead to make the pilots heavier.
All the proposals used lead from fishermen equipment.

I also use lead, but I get it from the Car wheels.

I just use used balancing weights from a tire dealer.
They have the advantage that they are mostly flat and rectangular, so you can easy staple them if you need more weight.
When they balance a wheel, they always remove the old weights, and scrap them, but for us this scrap can be usefull.

I also used them to make a scratchbuilt loco heavier. Just make a plastic box, staple the lead inside and fill up the plastic box with carpenters glue (a little thinned with water) and let it dry, so you get a heavy block, with all the lead glued together.

I hope, somebody may appreciate this hints,

Best regards,

Udo

Wade Colyer