News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Password Issues

Started by ebtnut, April 11, 2007, 01:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtnut

Mr. Bach-man- How come the system keeps "losing" my password?  I've had to re-install it every day now for the past 3 days.  What's the deal?

Atlantic Central

Bach Man, ebtnut,

I have this same problem if I use my AOL browser, but not when I use Internet Explorer directly?

Does the message board software not like AOL?

Sheldon

rikc9

Usually your computer browser has to be configured to keep the login info for how ever many days you want. Check your browser settings.
I do not have the issues as I my browser is configured to remove all login in information everytime I close the browser. At least there is a much smaller chance of leaving login information in some files on my computer, plus I use Firefox for a browser (much more secure than IE & better than AOL) and Linux OS.

rick9

JerryB

Quote from: atlanticcentral on April 11, 2007, 03:43:02 PM
Bach Man, ebtnut,
Does the message board software not like AOL?

In my experience, it's usually more a matter of AOL not liking non-AOL software and websites. As rick9 suggested above, check your settings, but you might also try a different better browser.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Atlantic Central

To all you computer geeks, better is a relative term. I understand the short comings of AOL, and I keep it only for a long established e-mail address, especially since it is now free when you have someone elses high speed.

But, from an ease of use standpoint, none of the others are better in my opinion. They all have wacky little pictures that no normal human would understand until they learn this "special" language of computers. I asure you, for those of us who did not "growup" with computers, there is nothing intuitive about their operation.

I have checked all my settings, on both browsers, and I dump all the temp and cache stuff every few days anyway. Fact remains, the Bachmann site and AOL don't get along. I'm sure the fault lyes more with AOL than Bachmann, since it did work fine before AOL's latest upgrade.

Another browser is, from my perspective, just one more persons opinion of how they think a computer should work. I'm still waiting for one of those companies to ask me.

Sheldon

rikc9

Sorry. It has been a few years since I got free of AOL. I forgot. I am 66 and not a computer geek. I just made it a goal to be free of AOL. My stepson who is 48 and a computer geek keeps telling me the geeks have won.
Hopefully you will be able to get free some day. It is not very difficult.

Cheers

rick9

Atlantic Central

rick9,

I'm free, I use explorer with my verizon DSL except to check my e-mail. But from where I sit, not explorer, or any of the other browsers I have seem are any better than AOL, just different. Yes they be better on some deep rooted technical level, but unless computers are your hobby or your profession, it is about ease of use, and nothing else.

The computer is just a tool to me, a fancy typewriter and video fax machine.

I have never played a game on one, I do my business book keeping, follow only this meassage board, only get about 3 e-mails a day, create and keep written documents, and search the web for business and model train info. Thats it, I have no other uses for this thing. I have better things to do.

Sheldon

Dr EMD

Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

WoundedBear

Make sure your browser security level is set to accept the cookie from the site......also, when you log in, make sure to tick the box at the bottom of the log-in window that says "Stay logged in".

Windows seems to have done an update the other day that cleared out all cookies when it rebooted....I have had to go back and re-sign in at all my sites.

Hope that helps.

Sid