News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Marx layout

Started by Jason05216, September 25, 2009, 11:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Satnik

A 5' x 9' area would give more room to fix those problems,

plus room for expansion and longer radius curves.

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

mf5117

I started with one of these layouts on a 4x8 ft bench . It was a starting point . After awhile, I felt the need to expand as well and went to a 5x9 ft . And like you say , it gave me more room on the curves and a few more switches , deversions and get rid of the S curves that you find in some of these layouts .  I sure wish I was still up north and had my basement . I'd have a full basement layout . But for anyone starting out these are pretty good layouts. I had a lot of fun with them .

I boxed up my fleet of engines and rolling stock and going to work on my track . My girlfriend as been wanting to work on the scenery and I need to finish my control panel . So will be busy for awhile . So hopefully in about 6 months we will be able to unvale . So I will be asking alot of detail questions .  peace to all gotta get back to work 

Jason05216

Like mf5117 says this is a starting point for us. As long as we don't have too much trouble with this layout I'm going to go with it for a bit. I put it on a 4x8 sheet of plywood so it would take a little work to lengthen it out to 9'. After doing this layout the thing I really don't like and I didn't think thru enough (since I don't know much there was actually very little thought) before doing it is the fact that you have to reverse the train to get from the outside track to the inside track. I think for my son it would be better if you could simply drive thru a switch back to the inside rail.

mf5117

Your right about revercing to go to the outter loop or the inside loop . There are a couple other layouts on thor trains I think it's on a different page . It has the same simular layout but with another set of #5 bachmann switches, So you don't have to reverce to get to opne track or the other . although there is some crammed in pcs . In the straight parrallel main that can cause you some problems with derails . But with the added foot on length and width ,I was able to cure this . With some 4.5inch straights and 9inch straights . It was kinda like ," don't cuss call us " it was frustrating . But at the end ,I ended up with a nice decent layout . Due to space . But have more EZ track and r-18 and #5 switches than I need ........ Soooooo I told my gf I was going to knock out the wall and take it to the street . I have so much I'm still not satisfied . But the cool part was inner and outter track . running 2 or more trains most I have done was 5 at one time alot to keep up with . had a wipe out or 2 .But you know it made me smile . Run 2 on the inner and outter and do some switching . Enjoy what you have now and learn from it . And grow as you can . I love my dcc it allows me to run 2 or more Trains ,but keeps me from learning true d/c trains and all it has to offer   .

Jason05216

I was wondering if you were running dcc. We are running dc right now. Thought about adding another power pack and gapping the inside from the outside to run two trains. But thought maybe just go ahead and get a dcc setup. Which dcc system are you using?

mf5117

Hi Jason and good day . Excuse me for not getting back with you , I sleep during the day . As of now I'm running DCC , a Bachmann EZ COMMAND . I got a great deal on it .The wheel sets were off the one of the  trucks on the Western Maryland  box car. I got 60% off the origanal price of the HO digital commander set ."2  dcc  loco's, 3 cars, track, a manual switch and the EZ command controller " .So that is what I started back with . It's easy to use can run up to 9 different addressed locomotives function for lights . I run a couple of 2 string consists FT-A&B unit , 3 gp-40's, gp-35 ,2 70ton switchers , 2 sd40-2 , mdt plymoth and a few steamers . their all bachmann dcc equipted .    When I get my layout finished scenery ,control panel for remote switches , a couple of mod's to my bench work . then I will up grade to a better DCC system .some swear by the ez command  some swear by the digi trax , zypher etc etc . It's all up to the individual and how much money you want to spend . but for a young boy it's easy to learn and easy to use . When your running more than one train at a time and they pass and go around and you back and move a couple at the same time I get kanook goose bumps .
I do feel everyone should keep up on the d/c side of the hobby ,but also dcc is the way of the future . So it's a 2 way street .     I love my dcc

renniks

Jason

Have drawn a plan on a 4'3" x 8'3" board. A 4'6" x 8'3" board would be better. No S curves and has a crossover each way between loops. Unfortunarely the part numbers of some of the smaller pieces is in small print for some reason.  It is drawn on a 3" grid which may help in getting the sizes.

mf5117

Renniks good job on the drafting . Thortrains has a very similar layout on one of there pages actually 3 or 4 of them . If you haven't experienced sectional track on a small layout such as a 4x8  . Although your drawing is a little larger with no S curves . The problem is all the short pieces of 2's 2 1/4 3's joined together at the switches . the upper parallel in the middle to the right side is what I had problems with . Also on the 22" radius to the right I think i see 2 2 1/4 and a 3 ,just out of the curve .you will get humps and valleys . Which in turn cause shorts and derailments .  The smaller pcs 2 2 1/4 3 4 1/2 you don't know if they were manufactured , early on monday or late on a friday . Some do not match up well . The width looks good but I would add 6" or 1ft to the length to get rid of the short pcs . All the short pcs is how I had so many left overs . I do have the half dog bone and like it !!!  peace to all mark f       gotta take a nap gotta be at work at 11:00 shut down lots of contractors tonight ..... see ya around 3:00am for a few minutes....

Jason05216

Mark..No worries, I didn't think that everyone had time at work to keep checking this forum all day. Thanks for the input about your experience. I'm investigating the dcc thing to figure out how far to dive in so to speak. Seems you can spend as much as you want on those systems.

Renniks...thanks for taking the time for the layout. I'm going to modify what I have to get a layout like that. I'll have to go through and inventory what track I have versus what you show. I ended up with several pieces left over from my original project so I may be close. I'll have to get my assistant involved and get his OK,  ;D  BTW...Is there a way to either print that layout from the forum so I can read it or could you send it directly to me?

mf5117

Hey jason if you go to thortrains and enter their site .about halfway down the page you will see " fun action and animated layouts " you will see HO and 0n30 layouts similar to what renniks did .all with bachmann parts list .      gotta get back to work . contractors just getting out of safety orientation    peace    mark f

renniks

Jason

Have realised that I have not used your 2 x #5 turnouts which can be used for the sidings at top. Will redraw and get back to you.
If you right click on the drawing, you can "save image as " or "save picture as" depending on the browser you use.

Eric UK