Would love advice on an Rivarossi J3 engine I am looking at.

Started by Robertj668, September 26, 2009, 11:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robertj668

Hi everyone

Okay first I am sorry for asking so many questions tonight.

I was at my not so Local Hobby Shop today. About an hour's drive.  This is worth every second! But They sell used Engines there and I fell in love the Rivarossi HO Streamlined version of the NYC famous J3 Hudson in grey. It is in beautiful condition I can run it before I buy it. I trust the store that is selling it. They are very honest. It is not DCC and there is no warranty with the item though which concerns me a bit. The engine is about 10 yrs old. But it looks pristine. They want 125 for it.  I bet I could maybe get it for 110 but not too sure as I am asking to put in on a payment plan.

I would love an opinion from anyone here. I am going back there on Wednesday anyway to pick up some other stuff.  I cannot find the engine on eBay which is my first place to check.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Robert

john tricarico

hi robert

this sounds like your describing an older model of
this rivarossi engine
this j3 model hasnt been made for years  check the packageing if you can and see if its in the older AHM box

as far i as know rivarossi hasnt had this out for about 20 years

also M.T.H. has there version of this streamine hudson coming out
soon      price will be high with all the new features they have

but if you want a standard old classic j3  its up yo you

good luck   john tricarico   brooklyn ny

mabloodhound

I think that's a little too much to pay for an engine that's almost 20 years old.
With all the new features available, I wouldn't offer more than $75 or less.
They probably will never get rid of it at the asking price.
8)
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Robertj668

John & Mabloodhound
Thanks for the input. I think it is in the AHM box.  And they said it was 10 to 12 yrs old.

I did find a few on eBay  a few were auction style and 2 were ate buy it now.  The buy it now prices were about 200.  They were described as mint.
It is really pretty.  I may offer $100.  But I may pass as we all agree it is all a little old.

Robert

bobwrgt

Robert
I have two from ebay. Older style with motor in cab. Almost new for $50-$55.00 . They run great. Keep looking and you can find them. AHM Box
I have one of the new stlye with can motor in the engine boiler. These came in red Rivarossi Box. Trainworld sold them for around $75.00. They also run great but no longer availabbe except for ebay.
Same info goes for the 2-8-4 Ahm/Rivarossi Berkshire.

Bob

Robertj668

Bob
Thank you. By the way what is the min turn radius?
You can email me the link if you want. But I am looking for it now.
Robert

meguell3

Quote from: Robertj668 on September 26, 2009, 11:58:06 PM
Hi everyone

Okay first I am sorry for asking so many questions tonight.

I was at my not so Local Hobby Shop today. About an hour's drive.  This is worth every second! But They sell used Engines there and I fell in love the Rivarossi HO Streamlined version of the NYC famous J3 Hudson in grey. It is in beautiful condition I can run it before I buy it. I trust the store that is selling it. They are very honest. It is not DCC and there is no warranty with the item though which concerns me a bit. The engine is about 10 yrs old. But it looks pristine. They want 125 for it.  I bet I could maybe get it for 110 but not too sure as I am asking to put in on a payment plan.

I would love an opinion from anyone here. I am going back there on Wednesday anyway to pick up some other stuff.  I cannot find the engine on eBay which is my first place to check.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Robert

Go for it I hope you enjoy it I recently bought one and am very happpy with it other than a little motor noise and complicated wiring it's a very good puller and runner I can tell you right now it's not gonna pull alot of cars maybe 5-6.   
As for the price I personally think it's a realy good price I got mine for 150 but it had some minor mechanical problems so if nothing is wrong with it GET IT!

Robertj668

meguell3
It is still available However they also have a bigboy for sale by Rivarossi.  It is 150 and the NYC is 125.  But the NYC seems to run smoother. 

Am I correct does the NYC run on 22" and 18".

Robert

meguell3

That is correct, you cna get away with running it on 15" curves just not very fast.
I mean it looks stupid but it does run on 15"
And on the big boy I have no experience with it other than the fact that the gears suck on anything that big.

Robertj668

Some people are telling me that the older Rivarossi Engines have trouble with code 83 track especially the switches does anyone know that?
Robert

ABC

Taken verbatim from atlasrr.com:
"I've heard some locos & rolling stock may not run on Code 83 track. Is this true?
The only locos and rolling stock that may have problems on any Code 83 track are some older European-mode models. The reason is the flanges are too large. If you are running trains made within the last 15 years or so, you should not have a problem with Atlas Code 83 track."
That means if this model is an older Rivarossi/AHM then you will have a problem as it is certainly European. Check the size of the flanges and ask if you can test it out on code 83 before you buy it. So if it was made after 1990, I know you will be fine. The problem is if it is from the early 1970's, I don't remember how old you said each of them were...

Robertj668

ABC
They cannot confirm off hand but could check.They thought that they were about 10 yrs old.
Thanks for the help
Robert

Johnson Bar Jeff

Gosh, I've been wanting one of these engines for years. I'm not even a New York Central fan, but for my money the streamlined Hudsons were the most beautiful streamlined steam locomotives ever built. They always seem to go for quite a lot on eBay.