News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

reverse loops, figure 8's

Started by mf5117, October 10, 2009, 10:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf5117

on a figure 8 can you use insulated rail joiners on the opposing curves with dcc . instead of a reverse loop module .

and if the engine crosses the insulated rail joiners will it switch polarity , and run properly .not try to go into reverse or short with 4 wheel and 6 wheel truck engines .

fieromike

On a simple figure eight, there is no reverse loop, so insulated joiners and such are unnecessary. 
A DCC equipped engine  will continue in the direction it was instructed to go unless it comes upon a change in track polarity.  If that happens, you will have a short circuit unless you have a reversing module.

mf5117

I guess also what I'm trying ask is .With an outter and inner loop with the outter loop merging into the inner loop in 4 places . Can you add a figure 8 to the inner loop without it shorting out .   I'm working on a L shape on the layout with and over and under figure 8 on the inner loop of the layout . 

ebtbob

It may be more clear to say you have a figure 8 with the two ends connected by straight sections of track on the outside.   And....yes,  you now have reverse loops that must be isolated and wired whether you use DC or DCC controlled systems.
       If your railroad is a straight DC operation,  then get the Atlas control pieces and wire the way they show you.   If you are using DCC then there are several reversing modules you can purchase,   Digitrax,  Tony's,  and NCE to name three.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Jim Banner

Quote from: mf5117 on October 10, 2009, 10:21:19 AM
on a figure 8 can you use insulated rail joiners on the opposing curves with dcc . instead of a reverse loop module .

No.  Gaps and insulated rail joiners can not replace auto reversers (reverse loop modules.)  But they are required to let auto reversers do their job properly.

Quote from: mf5117 on October 10, 2009, 10:21:19 AM
and if the engine crosses the insulated rail joiners will it switch polarity , and run properly .not try to go into reverse or short with 4 wheel and 6 wheel truck engines .

No.  Changing polarity is the job of the Auto Reverser - it does not occur automatically in the locomotive.

For more information, read this earlier posting where I went into the details of why and how.  It was about  a slightly different situation but covers your situation as well.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,10638.msg87609.html#msg87609

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

mf5117

thanks for that post jim , I do think I remember seeing it now . And printed it out .

thanks for the help ..... going to start laying track again ....

jsmvmd

Dear Jim,

Thanks a million for the re-post !

Keep 'em coming !

Best Wishes,

Jack