News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

e z command controller

Started by dave`s dangerouse, October 08, 2009, 01:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave`s dangerouse

I reacently purchased the e z command Dynamis contoler, but find it cuts out when run alongside another transformer namsley a Ultrapower 10 amp
which is feeding my model lights approx 30 even though the Ultrapower is on a differant plug and seperate feed circuit, could this be somehow upsetting the infa red signals/? also the lights stay on but it just knocks the power out on the dynanmis.
When the Ultrapower is disconnected , no problem with Dynamis!!!!

Jim Banner

I cannot see your power supply emitting infra red except for the minor amount possibly generated by it heating up slightly.  Incandescent lamps emit some infrared, but the Dynamis is made for indoor use with the lights on, so it is not likely the model railroad lights themselves are the problem.

There are two other things that do come to mind.  One is the possibility of a hidden connection between your Ultrapower and the tracks.  The easiest way to check for this is to disconnect the Dynamis from the track, then use an ohmmeter to check from each rail to each output terminal of your Ultrapower.  Anything less than an infinite resistance is unacceptable.

The other thing that comes to mind is that your Ultrapower may be a switch mode power supply.  If it is a Prolux Ultrapower 12 volt, then it IS a switch mode power supply (SMPS.)  SMPS's are much lighter, more efficient and usually give a more stable output voltage.  They do, however, use high frequencies internally and sometimes that high frequency escapes to cause havoc with other equipment.  The Prolux Ultrapower is designed for charging R/C batteries which are unaffected by high frequencies and so it may be leaking more high frequency energy than your Dynamis can tolerate.  If your Ultrapower is physically near your Dynamis, try moving one or the other.  If that doesn't help, try plugging your Ultrapower into a different outlet as well,  An outlet on a different circuit would be even better, even if you have to use an extension cord for trying it out.  If you still have problems with the Ultrapower and the Dynamis separated and plugged into different circuits, try adding a capacitor across the output of the Ultrapower as well.  Use a .1 microfarad ceramic capacitor rated at 50 volts or more (should be available from Radio Shack or your favorite electronics supplier.)  If you find that these three things together eliminate your problem, try removing the remedies one at a time until you find a combination that works and that you can live with.  If none of this works, consider another power supply.  Computer power supplies are often a good choice.  E-mail me if you want information on how to apply them to model railroading.  Because it involves opening the power supply's case, I do not like posting that information on line.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

dave`s dangerouse

Thanks for that jim I did try runnning th Ultrapower on a dirreant circuit ie andextention lead from the garage, but it still knocked out the dynamis, so I have since disconnected the ultapower and put other transformers onto my lights, and guess what no problem and the lights are brighter than ever, so obviosley the problem is somehow to do with the Ultrapower (anyone want it) Incidently I cheked all my lights and all are definatley on seperate circuit to the track.   Thanks for your Help Jim.

meguell3

Sure I'll take you ultra power?
If it's free that is. ;)