News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bashing Thomas rolling stock

Started by NarrowMinded, September 28, 2009, 12:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NarrowMinded

Of all the scales I have, I really enjoy on30 because there are so many options from other scales to bash, here is a bashed thomas troublesome truck, also shown is a tender I made with my 5yr old daughter last night in about an hour or so. she painted it with help from Dad  ;D

jestor

Frisco

Nice job! Any special problems you ran into? I have a pair sitting around, and would love to take a try at it.

NarrowMinded

Thanks,
  No special problems at all, the only tip I would give is to remove the hook and loop couplers then screw the mounting screws in all the way, this will force thread the rest of the hole in preparation for the new couplers, remove the screw, then cut off the existing center mounting post flush, I also removed the molded lines that sick up next to that same center post, then I mounted Kadee #3 couplers.

NM
P.S. the face comes of easily by placing a x-acto blade under one corner and lifting up. they pop right off.

renniks

Some folk convert standard OO scale UK style 'goods wagons' made by Bachmann UK and Hornby which are available from dealers in the States and 'downunder'.

Eric UK

railtwister

Quote from: NarrowMinded on September 28, 2009, 12:04:54 AM
Of all the scales I have, I really enjoy on30 because there are so many options from other scales to bash, here is a bashed thomas troublesome truck, also shown is a tender I made with my 5yr old daughter last night in about an hour or so. she painted it with help from Dad  ;D

Very Nice! I especially like the rusted metal bracing and the weathered top edge. I have tried putting one of the new Kadee whisker couplers that come with the new snap-together box on one of my Thomas cars. I used a thin styrene shim between the box and the car frame after I trimmed off the old Thomas coupler mount flush. If you haven't yet tried one of the whisker couplers with the new box you need to give them a try. They are as much of an improvement over the #3's and #5's  as the Magnematics were over the old Kadee mechanicals.

Bill

El Loco

From the words of  my Grandson, "SWEET"! 8)

Frisco

Thanks! Sounds like finding where I put them will be the hardest part.