News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1:20.3 Cabbose

Started by MAELLIS, October 01, 2009, 05:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAELLIS

Hello from Norway, I've just received my Spectrum RGS caboose. What a beauty ! :)

I have a question which I hope someone can help me with.

In the box under the caboose I found 3 small pieces of loose folded brass about 1/4 long. As the shipment has probably had a rough ride over the Atlantic I'm wondering if these have fallen out from the trucks as they look like small springs. Has anyone else found these loose and if so where should they be located ?

Martin Ellis

Jon D. Miller

Martin,
Sure sounds like they could be leaf springs out of one of the trucks.

It would seem to be rather obvious, by looking at the trucks, that one ore more are missing the leaf springs.

Here's a picture of a truck.  If the brass is painted same color as the trucks and looks like the leaf springs in the picture then you've found where they belong.

Since I've had the caboose apart for a detailed review not sure what else these pieces could be.  A picture of what you've found would be helpful.

Also, take a look at sheet G887X-IS001 of the supplied documentation.  There you will find exploded views of the truck among other parts.  Note the leaf spring is in three parts plus there is a coil spring that provides the suspension.  Do the parts you found look anything like those depicted?

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

the Bach-man

Dear Martin,
The small brass wedge goes directly under the top of the sideframe, to help maintain electrical conductivity.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Jon D. Miller

Whoa!  I sure missed that one.  Didn't even note those parts when I had the truck apart.

Thanks Bach Man for giving the correc answer.

On sheet G887X-IS001 that's the part listed as G830X #MT03.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

MAELLIS

Hi, thanks for answering.  One was left between the truck bolster and the body but this one fell out when I moved the caboose around after removing it for the box.
I they are shown on the excellent exploded view drawing for the Chassis Assembly p/n G830X #MT03. Look like there should be 2 per truck one on each side mounted on the top of the truck side. I've just used a magnifying glass and you can see them on the drawing of the assembled truck. Looks like they may be anti body-roll "springs".

The ones I found are not very "springy" any more so maybe excessive pressure under transport presses  them flat and then they will fall out.

Maybe other purchasers need to be aware of this potential problem. They are vey small and easily missed when upacking.

Martin

Bucksco

The Bach Man asked me to post the following images to clarify.