News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Restacking the 4-6-0

Started by siemer, October 02, 2009, 01:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

siemer

I'm using Bachmann 4-6-0 locos -- love the look and the sound -- on an "old west" layout currently under construction.  I'd like to give those lokes a more-period look by altering the stacks to funnel or onion-bulb design.  I know some Bachmann engines come with switchable stacks but for obvious reasons, not the 4-6-0.  Anyone know of an aftermarket source for period-style stacks that would fit the 4-6-0?   My thanks.

Pacific Northern

Check with Bachmann service department. Most of the shays have an old fashion stack. I would be surprised if they could not sell you one.
Pacific Northern

GN.2-6-8-0

The Bachmann 4-6-0s are 1905-10 Baldwin catalog locomotives and sorry to say will look just wrong with either the balloon or onion types of stack.
You might rather look at the older Bachmann 4-4-0s for a period engine.
Rocky Lives

rich1998

you will find stacks at the walther site. look around i have bought some
http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?manu=&item=&words=restrict&split=30&category=Part&scale=H&instock=Q&keywords=stack&start=0
lex
this guy has made his look older
http://www.cwrail.com/index.html

Pacific Northern

I just remembered that some of the MDC locomotive kits came with a variety of stacks for the builder to choose from.
Pacific Northern

rich1998

Quote from: Pacific Northern on October 02, 2009, 03:37:14 PM
I just remembered that some of the MDC locomotive kits came with a variety of stacks for the builder to choose from.

you might find those on ebay. i got two sets some years ago beforemdc was out of business. the new roundhouse site does not have them i checked
lex

siemer

Thanks, guys.  I know the 4-6-0's never wore period stacks but they're the closest to period-lokes I could find with factory dcc/sound.  I'll look around but if all else fails, I have a really beat up Riv loco which no longer runs but could be cannibalized for a funnel.  Then if the transplant doesn't look too hideous, maybe I can chase one down on ebay or at one of our local train shows.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

RAM

It your railroad, so do what you want to.  A lot of the lumber RRs used wood for fuel, 2-6-2, 2-8-2 and 4-6-0s

Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

rich1998

i do not know what "period" you want but many coal fired locos in the 1800s had straight stacks like the 4-6-0.
also the low driver 4-6-0 would look a little better than the high driver. the low driver has a more "period" tender than the high driver 4-6-0. but it is your railroad
lex

rogertra

Quote from: Pacific Northern on October 03, 2009, 04:22:57 PM
This 4-6-0 has an "old west"  look to me.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,10551.0.html

Balloon stack and all.

This looks like a Disney locomotive.  other than the fact it runs by steam, it's hardly a prototype to base any modelling on.  It is, after all, just movie/theme park loco designed to look like the designer wanted.  The garish colour scheme for example.

mabloodhound

WOW, somebody doesn't like Disney railroads!
It's yours and although the Disney loco wasn't an American engine, it looks fine.
If you like it, do it.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

rich1998

the disney locomotives were built by baldwin in the 1920s for a ng railroad in mexico. the locos were modified by disney and converted to oil burners for safety and convenience of the park.
lex

BillD53A

My local logging railroad used onion-stacked 4-6-0s, 2-6-2s, 4-4-0s and a 2-4-0 until 1944.  The 4-4-0 was built to burn coal; converted to oil; re-converted to coal and ended its days in 1942, burning wood.  There is no appropriate onion stack in HO;  the one brass casting is meant for a small shay and is too small.