News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Modifiying for On30

Started by japasha, April 12, 2007, 12:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

japasha

My principle reason for modeling in On30 is to just fool around and see what I can do. The seriousness of my other modeling is not present here. I can take a Bachmann locomotive and make anything i want. The idea of a 2-6-6-2 in On30 is really not valid.  30 inch gauge isn't big and the locomotives were never big. On3 is where the larger locomotives belong. The difference in layout sizes isn't great. The prototypes with tight radius in three foot gauges are out there, The Silverton Railroad had one curve on a 3.5% grade that was about 15 inches in 1/4 inch scale.

As much as I would like a company like Bachmann to produce  a good 4-4-0, part of the appeal is to build one out of scrap parts that looks acceptible and all. Sound is nice, but that can be added to any well-planned model 

Use the John Allen philosophy: the railroad is yours and it operates the way you want it to. It has equipment that you want that looks the way you think it should.  I think my own railroad would be cool with one of those South African Garretts rollong through the California redwoods. A pair of Bachmann HO 2-6-2s would make a good start for a mechanism.

I wouldn't worry about which sound system is better, just make sure the locomotives run well to start and add what you really want.

Hamish K

Quote from: japasha on April 12, 2007, 12:40:32 PM
My principle reason for modeling in On30 is to just fool around and see what I can do. The seriousness of my other modeling is not present here. I can take a Bachmann locomotive and make anything i want. The idea of a 2-6-6-2 in On30 is really not valid.  30 inch gauge isn't big and the locomotives were never big.

There were 30 inch gauge 2-6-6-2s, American built but not operating in the USA.  Baldwin built a charming little 2-6-6-2 for Ingenio Angelina and Alco built 2-6-6-2s for Serbia. Pictures of both are at http://narrowmind.railfan.net/ (scroll down page and you will reach sream locos by wheel arrangement). Kit bashing small 2-6-6-2s for ON30 has certainly been done and can be justified (if justification is needed) by the export locos.

Part of the appeal of ON30 is that it is many things to many people. It is a great kitbahing scale and many superb models (including some that are weird,  wacky and wonderful) have been made over the years. Kit bashing and freelancing (sometimes very free!) is an important part of the ON30 scene. 

Others of course use ON30 as a convenient and relatively cheap alternative to ON3 for 3 foot prototypes, or as an alternative to ON2 for 2 foot prototype. Others model actual 30 inch gauge prototypes.

The point is to remember that all approaches to ON30 are valid and need to be respected.

Sorry for the sermon, but ON30 does get rather heated from time to time on this board as well as elsewhere.

Hamish

scottychaos

Use the John Allen philosophy: the railroad is yours and it operates the way you want it to. It has equipment that you want that looks the way you think it should. 

I totally agree!
and using that logic, an On30 2-6-6-2 IS totally valid!  ;) :D
(and its also valid since 2-6-6-2 logging mallets actually *existed*)

The idea of a 2-6-6-2 in On30 is really not valid.  30 inch gauge isn't big and the locomotives were never big.

I think my own railroad would be cool with one of those South African Garretts rollong through the California redwoods.

So..just to clarify, a 2-6-6-2 logging mallet is NOT "valid", but you are fine with an On30 South African logging Garrett in the the California redwoods??  :o
alllllrighty then!  ;)

well, its your railroad, you can do whatever you like!  ;D

Scot

toysnstuff

;D My NGRR, Lake Forest and Juniper Bend has a 2-8-8-2 (nee> UP Big Boy) in the shops getting dc and sound added. Whacha mean no Lg. Locos?. Jim
No Trees, Flora or Fauna were hurt in the production of this message however, Quite a few Electrons were disturbed or otherwise agitated. ;-)

ebtbob

Good Afternoon all,

So here we go again with someone declaring what is valid or not and the responses start to flow in.   And again.....the idea that model railroading is fun seems to be out the window.
       Well,  maybe not.   If someone's idea of fun is to as prototypical as possible,  then so be it.   If someone else wants to do what ever makes them happy,  then they are just as correct as the first guy.
        The interesting thing is this thought process seems to find its way to light more so in the On30 world.   I still cannot figure that out.
        So.....is a 2-6-6-2 valid?   I don't know.   What is valid in On30 and who set the rules?  BTW.....anyone with a copy of the rule book that they can spare please let me know so I can have it sent to me......meanwhile,  back I go to my "hugh" K27s and Bachmann 2-8-0s,  Bachmann freight cars and passenger cars and my 26 inch minimum radius.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

scottychaos

here is the ruling from the official model railroading rule book:
(I have a rare copy! ;)

QuoteOn the topic of validity:
If you like it, and want to built and/or run it, it shall be officially valid.
If you choose to declare it not valid on your railroad, it shall not be valid.
(above rules apply to your railroad only, no one else's)

Scot

Woody Elmore

The validity of a model is not the question. Narrow gauge railways were built on the cheap to maximize profits and it is possible that a line may have ordered a small articulated engine. It all depends on context.

Bachmann has been wise in limiting their On30 line to small cars and engines that are based on a prototype.  Even the EBT engines that I would love to see produced would be on the large size when running on On30 track.

I have modified several ON3 cars to On30 and I was disappointed after the conversion because they look out of place with the Bachmann equipment.

ebtbob

Woody,

You are absolutely correct when you say that On3 cars converted to On30 are too big when compared to the Bachmann cars.    That is why,  if you plan on using the Bachmann items,  use just them.   I once had an On3 EBT three bay hopper and it was bigger than the Bachmann boxcars.   But,  with the advent of the two bay hopper,  many peoples needs for a hopper that was not a modified S scale hopper were met.
        Again,  On30 is one of those scales than can meet the needs for many people.   As the B Man says....."let's have fun"

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

japasha

I made the comments fully knowing the relationship between 3 foot gauge and the usual 30 inch gauge.

I have some On3 models specifically selected because they fit the 30 inch scheme of things. A much as I would like a string of Westside log cars behind that Garrett I would like, the log cars are too long to operate on 28 ince radius. The same goes for a K-27.

Even in whimsy, a modeler has to be careful on the selection of the prototype used. Lee Riley is a very skilled modeler and knows of many prototypes that fit the 30 inch scheme of things. Adapting specific 2 foot or 3 foot gauge prototypes was a brillant  move on his part.  If you pick up a book by Gerald M. Best on the Mexican Narrow Guage, you can find even more prototypes to kit bash or build from scratch, many being 2 foot or 30 inch gauge. If you broaden you horizons, Columbia, Brazil, Bolivia, etc. have narrow gauge railroads that will boggle the mine. Ecuador has a 42 inch guage system that is particularly interesting. Many have steel rolling stock that is modern.

But let's get back to 30 inch gauge. Typically, cars were no more than 25 feet. The Colorado narrow guages and the EBT features rolling stock that ws wider and longer than any 30 inch rolling stock. The locomotives were as wide as smaller standard gauge locomotives. Some cars were forty feet long and had a capacity of almost that of standard gauge cars.

The 2 foot lines in Maine were fairly straight and level. The rolling stock was longer but narrow.  The Hawaiian 30 inch gauge roads hauled sugar cane as do the Cuban roads. Rolling stock isn't particularly large on those roads.

Modeling allows for whimsy and adaptation. John Allen pointed this out to anyone who came to see his layout. My comments are that you have to fit all of this into what you have available.  Look at real things that really fit.

br549

Like I said somewhere before, At one time when I modeled in HO I was a   rivet counter and one of the worst.  Now that I am in 0n30 I have found more heated discussion on whats right or whats bogus.  Hey, it's what ever makes one happy!
I now Freelance a fictitious railroad some where in a far away place where the worst of our world has never seen.  Plain old  fun. My old HO prototype Buddy's still come over and  :o "OOH & Ahhh"  :D over what I have built  and want me to help out on thier layout.  Sure perhaps it was never used on a NG-line but hey it works on mine and I haven't had not 1 complaint yet!  For those whom do there's the door! I still appreciate a well built prototype model  but then something off the wall in our 0n30 world is a breath of fresh air .
Besides it keeps my 3 grandsons happy just watching.
Have Fun!