Any Clue to what size On3 is?

Started by Dubber, October 05, 2009, 12:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubber

I had bought a bachmann Spectrum HO scale US Mail Rail Truck DCC Ready and on the side of the box is Marked On3, but to compare it when sitting beside an HO scale it looks exactly the same, so what is On3?

mf5117

•Modelling 3' gauge railroads is part of the hobby of rail transport modelling. Specifically it relates to the modelling of narrow gauge prototypes ...

RAM

dubben, Ho is about half the size of O scale.  ON30 will run on HO track.

Dubber

This patictular model is not even close to ON30 or O scale but marked on the box by Bachmamnn On3. It looks exactly like HO scale 1:87

ebtnut

Dub:  Sounds like the Chinese just mis-labled the box.  Bachmann has never made anything in On3 specifically.  Some of their On30 models are easiliy convertible to On3 by widening the gauge of the wheels on the model (both are 1/48 scale; the On3 track gauge is a bit wider than On30/HO). 

jsmvmd

Dear Dubber,

Please see this link:

http://www.hobbycraftsnmore.com/Hobby%20Pages/Train%20Pages/Scale%20Pages/On3%20Scale.htm

It appears to me that RAM might have hit an extra key  ;D

On3 is O scale that models 3 ft gauge, and runs on HO track.

On30 is the above but 30 inches between the rails.

They are different.

Best Wishes,

Jack

Dubber

Thank You!! That is exactly what I thought. I sold one on ebay and the guy wanted to argue with me that the mail truck was an On3 and I told him no way not even close.

Ken

On3 models will not run on HO track, gauge is 3/4inch (slightly wider).
  narrowing wheels on axles will allow operation on HO gauge track as used for
On30.

Ken
     GWN

jsmvmd

Dear Ken,

Thanks !  I stand corrected.

Best Wishes,

Jack

SteamGene

Ken,
There is a typo in here somewhere.  On3 is three foot narrow gauge.  On30 is thirty inch narrow gauge.  There is a real world six inch difference between the two.  On30 track is HO gauge.  On3 does NOT run on HO track. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

glennk28

Yes--On3 does not run on HO track. That is On30--meaning it is 30" gauge.  On3 track is 3/4"  (19mm) wide.  Dominant manufacturers are PSC/MMI, Grandt Line, San Juan Car Co, and several wood kit makers including LaBelle.  Many locomotives are linited run Bra$$ models.  It is considered one of the "Craftsman Scales ".

Woody Elmore

Gee, all these years in On3 I didn't realize I was a craftsman! I just like to build kits. That is why I like to dabble with On30 kits and leave the Bachmann RTR trains to the impatient types who can't wait to put wheels on track.

ebtnut

Woody:  In these modern times, I think even doing a "shake-the-box" kit may quailify you as a craftsman.  I agree that part of the pleasure of the hobby for me is building models and getting them rolling.  But I think we may be becoming dinosaurs.

Woody Elmore

Going through my files I found a number of articles I clipped from MR way back when. One set is a series by Jack Work where he built an entire passenger train from scratch. I also have a mine project that he did. This man was one of the great craftsmen in the hobby.

Mel Thornburgh used to scratch build engines. His six part series on building a model of the last Wabash mogul, #573, was another great piece.

Sadly, we have people in the hobby who can't, or won't, adjust a coupler or who have no idea of basic wiring but are quick to blame the manufacturer. I cringe at the thought of a Big Boy on 22 inch radius (or smaller) track.

If the above is what categorizes a model railroader then I truly am a craftsman.

Ken

Woody

Jack work had some excellent construction articles in MR, saved a few myself.
I believe it was Gib Kennedy who did the Kettle Valley Express passenger train
series, correct me if I am wrong.

Would be neat to have all of Jack's and Gib's articles in one book from Kalmbach.
  Guy can dream. The plans and information is as valed today as when the first appeared.

Am I a Craftsman?, in the process of converting a Bachmann HO USRA 2-6-6-2
  into a Kitson-Meyer 2-6-6-2T for my RR.  Chassis up and running after a few!
  minor glitchs. Now for the body. Reversing the rear set of drivers causes a few
  nasty words!.

Ken Clark
      GWN