News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Fn3 K27 track

Started by Scotty, October 03, 2009, 01:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

This is probably an old subject but I have a K27 coming.  It is my FIRST large scale model.  I have given myself an ice cream headache searching the web for info on modeler's experience with this locomotive on different brands of track/switches.  I know your specs say 4 foot minimum radii.  I am interested in using LGB 16000 (3 foot 11 inch) radii track with their 1600 switches due to their availability.   I will not rehash the different opinions/experiences I have read but lets say they are varied.  What does the Bachmann say?  Scotty

BobHuddleston

It will go around 4' radius. However, the cab and tender barely clear and even at 5' I have problems with cars occasionally coming uncoupled.

When you get sound in the K-27  -- I have QSI -- it will blow you away! Put some AMS and Bachmann Spectrum behind it and sit back!

the Bach-man

Dear Scotty,
4' is the very bare minimum, and wider is always better!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Udo

Hello Scotty,

I am not very familiar with the "inches".

My K27 runs very smooth on LGB R3 tracks and also turnouts (I Think, its the 1600 series).

Bigger is surely better, but R3 is sufficient.

Udo

Loco Bill

Scotty,

Your K-27 is definitely a work of art, and I know you will love it.   My opinion is that it will not look as good on the 4 foot diameter track, due to the overhang as it will on larger diameter track.  If at all possible go with wider track.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Joe Satnik

Diameter = twice radius. 

LGB 16000 series (R3) curves = 2390 mm diameter = 94.1" diameter ~ 7'-10" diameter, or just under 8' diameter.

Divide by 2 for radius:

1195 mm radius = 47.05" radius ~ 3'-11" radius, or just under 4' radius.

R1 = 1200 mm Diam = ~4' Diam or ~2' Rad (11000, 12000 series)

R2 = 1560 mm Diam = ~5' Diam or ~2.5' Rad (15000 series)

R3 = 2390 mm Diam = ~8' Diam or ~4' Rad (16000 series)

R5 = 4640 mm Diam = ~15' Diam or ~7.5' Rad (18000 series)

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Scotty

Thanks for all your comments.  My primary purpose is being able to set-up some track on the floor and see the wheels turn.  Eight foot diameter track in a home is a stretch for most rooms.   I know the wider the turns the more realistic the train looks but indoors comprises must be made. 

I wanted to know if LGB R3 track/turnouts would work with the K27 (even though it is two inches narrower than the manufacturer's recommendation for 8 feet diameter circles) before I went out an bought some.   Udo evidently has had good luck with this so I think I will give it a try.  Does anyone have a better recommendation for sectional track?   

Loco Bill

Scotty,

Go for it and enjoy your K27!!! 8)
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Kevin Strong

Aristo's 5' radius sectional track is another alternative. Yeah, it's a bit harder to fit in the average bedroom without jacking up the furniture, but if you can swing it, I'd do it.

Later,

K