Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

280 decoder install g scale

Started by audiovince, October 05, 2009, 10:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

audiovince

what wires do you use on the circuit board for installing dcc decoders

Kevin Strong

I'm going to make the assumption that you're referring to installing a DCC decoder into the B-mann 2-8-0? Also, the "circuit board" to which you're referring is the stock circuit board that comes installed in the locomotive?

If you're installing DCC, I'll presume you'll want to wire the headlight directly to the DCC decoder, so you can take advantage of the directional controls/dimming should you so desire. Also, you'll want to connect the motor directly to the decoder. As such, trace the wires coming from the front and rear headlights, disconnect them from the stock circuit board, and wire them direct to the decoder. I believe (I may be wrong) the lights have LEDs wired in series with them at the headlights themselves, so you wouldn't need a dropping resistor at the decoder. You'll want to check this before hooking things up.

Remove the filtering PC board from the back of the motor. I'm not 100% certain this is necessary with every DCC decoder, but it can definitely play havoc with some. Someone whose done more DCC installs than I will hopefully step in to clarify.

The stock circuit board gets its power directly from the track, so beyond removing the motor and headlight leads so you can control them via the DCC decoder, you can leave the rest in place to run the firebox flicker and smoke should you so desire. Conversely, you can isolate those as well, and wire them direct. It all depends on how much wire tracing you want to do. (Not that it's terribly difficult.)

Later,

K

audiovince

thanks for the the info, but how do you get to the motor? I have no diagram to follow

John G

The diagrams are available on the Bachmann web site.  In the red contents column on the left choose "Product Reference", then "Diagrams", "iv. Large Scale", and "LS Narrow Gauge 2-8-0 Consolidation".  Good luck.  John