Problems with Engine of a Trainset

Started by hersheysouth, October 04, 2009, 08:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hersheysouth

I recently bought a trainset from a vender at a train show. The set is a Bachman Yard Boss set. When I got the set home,  I set it up on the table and tried to run. The engine would not budge. It sat there and made a funny clicking like noise. The track was connected, so I knew that it could not be a short in the tack somewhere. I was curious to find out if I needed to send the engine in or the whole trainset in order to get it repaired. It came with a lifetime warantey and the origional paperwork, it just has never been filled out. If someone could please guide me through this, that would be great. Thanks.

GN.2-6-8-0

Best to check by calling 215-533-1600  on your dime and speaking with Bridget,they rarely  ever pick up on their 800 number. you should be able to just send the locomotive in,they rarely repair ,just replace engines.
One other thing of importance is to remember to always if possible test any engines before buying, most all trainshows or swap meets should have test tracks set up for the four most popular scales N,H.O,O,G  available.
Rocky Lives

mf5117

Is it dc or dcc . heard of humming but not clicking . And maybe .Are you sure ,all the rail joiners are seated to the rails .controller wires and correctly plugged into the terminal railer .        My dcc system made a fast clicking noise when i shorted it out . but there were blinking lights also .   One of my engines made a good humming noise  . thought it was smoke equipped . but it was a blue kind of smoke . And then I saw this little flame and it wasn't the tender.... Call the # in the previous .Bridget will help you out as she has helped me before   .... 

Hellhound

Clicking is usually a split axle gear or broken gear in the drivetrain. Sometimes the locomotive will move and sometimes the drivetrain will bind and stall the loco.

hersheysouth

It is DC. Everything was connected right, even had someone go behind me to double check. Would they charge for replacing the engine?

the Bach-man

Dear Hershey,
If you bought a new set from an authorized dealer the warranty will be in force; a used set from a random seller will not.
Save your receipt!
Have fun!
the Bach-man