News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-4 J turn radius

Started by epee79363, January 18, 2010, 11:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epee79363

I've read (in several places) that the turn radius for the 4-8-4-J is  19 inches.  Is this correct?  I have also heard through various blogs that this is a hangover from HO and the it is 11.25 inches.    I'm itching for a 4-8-4 J but my layout will not handle the large curves.

ABC

QuoteThis locomotive performs best on curves with a minimum radius of 19" or larger.
-from multiple websites. I don't have the N scale J, but I'd go with the manufacturer's suggested minimum radius.

dtpowell

epee79363,

I operate the new Bachmann J successfully on Kato track with a minium radius of 348mm (13.75").

Dave

epee79363

Dave,

Thanks for the info.  I am also a member of the Lubbock Model Railroad Assoc.  We have over three scale miles of T-trak and our turns  are 11" radius.  My 4-8-4 Northern works fine on them. 

Darrell

PetalumaLoco

Wow what a sweet engine, I've been looking for a bigger loco, glad to see it will run those tighter EZ radii.

Anyone know the difference between the #611 (p/n 82153) and the #608 (p/n 82152)? All I can see from the photo & specs is the engine # being different.

James in FL

Hi PetalumaLoco,

While the Spectrum J will navigate the 11.25r curves, it sure doesn't like it. Maybe you could use a 19r easement which might help a bit?

The models are the same (611 & 608) however the 611 is also offered in two versions.
Bachmann calls the one version the 50's – 60's version. The other is what's called the Railfan 80's – 90's version which includes an auxiliary tender.

Again, it does not like the 11.25r.

Good luck

PetalumaLoco

James

This layout is 32" x 60", not a lot of room for those 19"curves! I'm considering a larger layout, so I'll hold off on the Class J.

Thanks for your help.

Williamson

One cool thing about the new J is that the draw bar has two settings - one of which brings the tender closer to the cab.

I've tested mine (I have two of them) on 12" radius with no problems.

Mark

skipgear

They run fine on 11"R. Easements do help though.

As far as the difference. The Railfan version is painted gloss black and has the aux tender with it. The other versions are freight versions and painted matte black. There may be some minor detail diferences beyond that but the color is what stands out.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950