News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann "Lifetime Warranty" and DD40AX ?!?!

Started by CNW4ever, October 06, 2009, 04:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNW4ever

Bach-Man

I like many others have a bunch of the original DD40AX engines released under the Bachmann name as well as subsequent PLUS and SPECTRUM runs.  Every one of my Spectrum and Plus engines have the infamous cracked gears making them useless unless I cannibalize several to make a few work.  Some of the original Bachmann release DD40's I have suffer from engines that are pretty much fried.
A few years back I contacted Bachmann Parts about the cracked gears and was told that they do not have any replacement gears, however a "replacement" engine could be traded to me. Too bad a replacement is a GP-40 or whatever is in stock.
Now the new DD40 is released (a suitable replacement) and i was told by customer service that they cannot offer any trade in for the old units.
I understand the new units are much nicer, but YOU NEED TO STAND BEHIND YOUR WARRANTY! It is not my fault you produced faulty gears and I have several engines that wont run!  I should not have to take a GP-40 for a replacement when a DD40 is finally READILY AVAILABLE!

Please do something to remedy this situation!
The customer service manager said her hands were tied and she was told by higher-ups that this is the policy.   >:(

the Bach-man

Dear CNW,
I'll pass along your concerns.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

C855B

Yeah, I have my concerns about this, too.

In a fit of incredibly bad timing I bought two "Plus" versions new from hobby shop "old stock" last year... weeks if not days before the new version was announced. And a little too close to MSRP. Both had broken axle gears out of the box, and have not seen daylight since their five minutes on the test track. In other words, $200 worth of "new" models that won't ever be runnable.

I can understand that the warranty was not intended to serve the "modeler" market, but, rather, as a marketing tweak for the general consumer trade. However, since the models I purchased were defective from the get-go and parts are not available, I would expect replacement with the equivalent model since it is available.

I'll wait a couple of days for our concerns to be heard and then call the service department. Hopefully we can expect a better outcome than "sorry... replacement from surplus stock of another model of our choosing" since in all honesty that's not what we signed-up for. "A locomotive is a locomotive" only works for beginners.

I'll add that it seems slightly incongruous that Bachmann has done backflips to make the new Centennial an excellent model which appeals, finally, to the modeler, and then tells that same customer that their modeler concerns - seeking a specific prototype - are going to be ignored when it comes to product support.

Thanks for hearing us out.

...mike

GlennW

Perhaps Bachmann could offer a "cash for clunkers" program? I can understand not selling new units for $15-$20 when they cost more than that. We do want Bachmann to make a profit. (Don't want to undercut the good dealers, either).

CNW4ever

I agree that a $15-$20 trade in is not the most cost-effective plan for Bachmann. However, the fact remains that many people purchased their old product in good faith with a "LIFETIME WARRANTY" only to have a severe defect of cracked gears on said product making it unusable.  Bachmann COULD have at a minimum retooled the gears and offer a trade in program leaving it up to the modeler to complete the installation.....they did not even do that. Nor have they offered any help for the gear issue other than trade in for a random engine they have in stock.
Something is certainly owed to consumers put in this position.
I truly hope they reconsider their position in this matter and come up with a mutually beneficial program.
Just my thoughts.

railtwister

Agreed that offering a cheap loco to replace a more expensive one under warranty is a dirty trick. Also, it's interesting to note that Bachmann has apparently ended the lifetime warranty on their newer premium locomotives, as well. I guess we are back to the old "buyer beware" business ethic, which is a shame, but it's not just Bachmann, many other companies are doing similar things in their customer abuse departments. I guess smart buyers will just need to be more careful which manufacturers they buy products from. Thanks for the "heads up" about this...

Bill

alhoop

He-He. Looks like some might have purchased a bunch of older DD40 units with the expectation of getting them replaced with the newer model. If the wish is to have a running unit, gears from the older Bachmann F9 is supposed to fit. I don't see how anyone can expect Bachmann to give a brand new and different model to honor the warranty.
Al

CNW4ever

Al,
Perhaps some did purchase old units with the hopes of trading them in. I bought all of mine over 2 years ago mainly to piece a few working engines together.  All of my units were purchased prior to knowing about a new release. I dont understand your comments. Is your suggestion that everyone should have to purchase an F9 (which yes I checked with Bachmann 3 years ago about this only to be told they did not have any) to make their DD40AX's run?....nice logic. Especially when said engine supposedly has a warranty.

Yes...I do feel that Bachmann owes me a new engine.  They very easily could have made a run of the ill-designed gears years ago and offered a program to trade in to remedy the problem. It would have cost a fraction. BUT THEY DID NOT.
In the end this burden needs to fall on the manufacturer...not the consumer.

alhoop

Ok CNW guy, whatever your name is, I take your word for it.
Have you contacted NWSL about replacement gears - if you really want to get your old units running? They may have made them in the past - they did for the old Minitrix F7(9), LL SW-8 and Arnold S2. They stated that the S2 gears were made from aged Delrin. I have heard that this was the problem with the DD40 gears, they were made from green (unaged) plastic and thus cracked because of normal shrinkage.
Don't think you will get new units from Bachmann, maybe one.

Al

CNW4ever

Bach-Man -
I will be at both iHobby and Trainfest. Please be so kind as to tell the Rep's that I would hope to have an answer on this issue by then.
Thanks! :)

alhoop

Quote from: CNW4ever on October 22, 2009, 09:05:56 PM
Bach-Man -
I will be at both iHobby and Trainfest. Please be so kind as to tell the Rep's that I would hope to have an answer on this issue by then.
Thanks! :)

Well CNW guy - want to share with us the answer to your demands of Bachmann?
Al

rdxpress

Hello,
        This thread caught my eye and forced me to register. I bought one of the original DD40AX's about 15 years ago to go with my BigBoy, I have never had it out of the box and after reading CNW's problem I have to wonder and am assuming that I have the same problem Mine has never been out of the box and run. So I guess my question is  Will Bachmann do something now or should we get a class action suit going or ????
     CNW let us know what you have found out soon please!!!!
                         Thanks Gary W.

the Bach-man

Dear Gary,
You've never had it out of the box. Why would you return it? Because there's a newer model available? Try that with your car or computer!
If a loco fails, and it is owned by the original owner, we will warrant it. If we replaced every older model with a newer version just because there's a newer version we'd soon be out of business!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

rdxpress

Mr. Bach-man,
   I fear you you misinterpreted my post. After finding this thread about the engine, I may have jumped the gun BUT it led me to believe that I may have a defective engine(With my luck this will be the case!!). I would not be trying to get an "updated/new" version Unless that was the only option. I just want a DD40AX to run on my layout! I will be checking out my present DD40 as soon as possible and I just want to know what CNW had found out. Thank you for your response so I guess now I'll ask what my options are from your company if I do indeed have a bad engine? Also I have two Ford vehicles that have had recalls on them. Ford did not replace them with "new" Vehicles But replaced the defective parts, That would be what I would hope Bachmann would do with these engines!
   Thanks again Gary W.

James in FL

rdxpress,

You stated you bought a loco ~15 years ago.

By your own admission, you don't know if you have a problem or not.

Look to after market components if indeed you need a fix or replacement parts.

I certainly would not look to any manufacturer for a replacement or replacement parts, after 15 years.

But that's just me.
And obviously my morals, values, and character differ from yours.

Good luck in your quest to "get over" on Bachmann.
Class action suit...yeah right.

Go for it "Big Dog"

Unbelievable... sheesh.

Don't get me wrong... I don't blame you... I blame your parents for raising you in that mentality.