Bach man dare I ask? Any new sets forretail stores?

Started by Loco Bill, October 06, 2009, 10:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco Bill

Bach man,

Here it is October and I am wondering if there are any special sets for the holiday period comming for Sam's, Orchard Supply,  Bass Pro, or other such stores??
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

the Bach-man

Hi, Bill!
There are, but I don't know if I'm at liberty to make the announcement; they might want to do it themselves.
Best regards,
the Bach-man

Loco Bill

Thanks,   

Understood!   Tip us off if you find you are free to speak.

We will have to see who is first to report!

Best
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Wade Colyer

Hi Bill:

I was at Boscov's last week and they had their Christmas items out. I saw a New Bright style Christmas set in large scale and a Lionel Polar Express in O gauge.

Wade

jsmvmd

Dear Wade,

Was the New Bright the fancy toy train with all the bells & whistles and Rube Goldberg stuff ?

Best Wishes,

Jack

jsmvmd

Dear Bill,

Boscov's online catalog lists a Pennsylvanian Lumberman, Bachmann, HO.

Best Wishes,

Jack

Wade Colyer

Hi Jack:

I didn't check to see who made the large set but it looked like a New Bright item.

Wade

tlnibert

davido

Bass Pro Shops are advertising a new Bass Pro "North Pole Special set" item 90075 by Bachmann for $199.99.

From the online advert it seems to be set 90044 without the Flat Car.

The 4-6-0 is renumbered as "72" and its cab sides are labelled with "BASS PRO SHOPS".

The tender is also renumbered as "72" with additional "NAUGHTY CAR" on its sides.

I live in the UK and cannot confirm the details, but I hope that somebody in the USA can check out this bargain!!

Davido

Loco Bill

Davido,

Good Spotting!   It is not yet in my local store so, I can't corfirm any details.  The print ad says the set has a wood tender, but the picture shows a coal tender.   The box car says "nice car" while the coal tender says "naughty car"

It has a Big Hauler 4-6-0  with the plastic Walshearts valve gear The Box car has the number BPS 122509  The door is marked "wrapped presents only no lumps of coal in this car"   The combine letterboard are marked North Pole Special  and a Bass Pro Shops logo is located just under the Merry Christmas to the left of the door.

It has one less car than the original North Pole Special set 90044 and the graphics on the items are different as well even tho the color schemes are similar.  Regretably sets with the same name but different contents always add to the confusion when tracking the historical record. 

If anyone gets actual photos of the set, I would appreciate copies in the  highest resolution possible.   If published or used in any way it would be with full photo credit to you.   Thanks
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

GSRR

Quote from: Loco Bill on October 06, 2009, 10:18:59 PM
Bach man,

Here it is October and I am wondering if there are any special sets for the holiday period comming for Sam's, Orchard Supply,  Bass Pro, or other such stores??

Loco Bill,

I recieved a catalog today from:
FRONTGATE
www.frontgate.com

On page 21 of the catalog, they offer:

Frontgate Christmas Train Set (#36464)
Appears to be a series 5 locomotive and tender,
20 ft gondola,  boxcar & bobber caboose
Locomotive numbered # 12
Box car & gondola numbered 30647
tender, boxcar & bobber marked:
North Pole & Southern
gondola marked: NP&S
Price $379.00

at web site must type in number -36464
at current catalog page to find item.

dave...

Loco Bill

Thanks Dave, It may well be a new set, but made up from a lot of rerun items.  I will need to find out if it has an official name and Bachmann number. No time to research now, but will post new info as I get it.

I would love to see the box too!

Bill
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

GSRR

Bill,
if you will pm me a postal address I will mail you the page from the catalog.
My scanner is down, so must rely on postal service. The page shows a much better picture if the train, than the web site.
dave...

Loco Bill

Thanks Dave, 

I have emailed my address to you!!

Bill
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Joe Satnik

Dear All, 

Taking a close look at the Frontgate photos,

I'd say that it is not Annie trim, but it does have Walschaerts (monkey motion) linkages (a huge plus). 

Balloon stack is for wood fuel, but tender has a coal load...

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.