News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Freight Trucks

Started by armorsmith, October 08, 2009, 12:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armorsmith

Mr Bach-man,

Is there a good reason why Bachmann will not market their replacement metal wheel freight trucks through dealers?

Bob C.

Wade Colyer

Hi Bob:

I've asked the same question about a replacement set of metal handrails enough to do 4 cars including the obs. car. I think a lot of people would want to retrofit their older cars.

As for the trucks, if you have trucks with the plastic or composit wheels, they do have wheel sets. For the whole truck, most people buy the flat car kits. This gives you 2 pair of trucks and nicer truss rods to replace the wire ones on USA or LGB cars.

They do offer K-27 items so maybe there's hope.

Wade

Loco Bill

Bob,
I sure agree with Wade about the metal handrail sets.  I believe They would be a great seller. 

You can get the metal wheels and install them in your truck sideframes  though.

I bought 4 boxes of the flat car kits from Trainworld for 24.95 each when they first came out.   Great source for spare parts of all kinds.   I think they are a few bucks higher now but still a great deal.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

armorsmith

Gentlemen,

I already purchase and replace the wheel sets in all my cars with Bachmann steel wheels.

What I am looking for is to be able to purchase the trucks from my local Bachmann distributor for scratch and kitbashing.  I am in the process of building up a series of skeleton cars from the old Kemtron plan sets I bought 30 years ago.

I was hoping to get a response from the Bach Man, but alas ....

Bob C.

the Bach-man

Dear Bob,
I'll certainly pass along your request.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

on30gn15

Quote from: armorsmith on October 08, 2009, 09:00:44 PMWhat I am looking for is to be able to purchase the trucks from my local Bachmann distributor for scratch and kitbashing. 

Count me in that number, please  :)
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Loco Bill

Hey guys You can get the complete trucks with metal wheels.    click on the Order Parts block on the left, then click on Large Scale.

Here is the link directly:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_69&zenid=l6hju55rkuoq3oqt5ifgof81v1

You will still be way better off by buying the Flat Car Kit.  Trainworld has them for $34.99 and if you call the price may be lower.  They seem to be out of stock at St Aubins.

Good luck with your project.!!

Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

armorsmith

Bill,

My heartburn with this is that I buy my B'mann wheel sets in bulk for $10.00 per card. Paying $16.00 for a couple of plastic side frames and a bolster is a bit high.

I don't mind the people at B'mann funding their retirement, just not on one sale from me.

Bob C.

jebouck

I believe Bob is referring to the metal trucks that are for the Spectrum 1:20.3 rolling stock.
Not the kits or plastic trucks.
I too would like to see the trucks available as separate items.
What happens when you need one to replace one?

armorsmith

Joe,

I am talking about the standard fare 1:22.5/1:24 trucks for the Big Hauler series.  No matter what manufacturers rolling stock I purchase, plastic wheel sets are replaced with Bachmann metal ones.  I pay $10.00 per card (4 axles) purchasing in bulk from the local shop.

Go to 'Order Parts', Large Scale, and there you will find part number G98901 for $13.00 each. Two trucks equals $26.00, -$10.00 for the wheel sets = $16.00 for some plastic side frames and a bolster.

As I said earlier, I don't mind people retiring, but.....

Bob C.

jebouck

Sorry,
I deciphered this as metal freight trucks:

<<Mr Bach-man,

Is there a good reason why Bachmann will not market their replacement metal wheel freight trucks" through dealers?

Bob C.>>

Loco Bill

You gotta look at the flat car kits.  If you buy the flat car kit,  you get two complete cars with trucks and metal wheels.   That is four trucks and 16 metal wheels.  It works out to 8.75 per truck including wheels.  You also get the underframes truss rods grab irons brake wheels, all good for kitbashing or as spares for other cars.

The Bachmann Item number is 98916.  The price is 34.99 at Trainworld.   Robby at RLDHobbies.com will match the Trainworld price if he has it in stock or can get it.

Check it out That is way less than buying them indidvidually direct.   
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

armorsmith

Bill,

Be that as it may, and it is a good option, that still has not answered the question asked. Just in case the question has gotten lost in the discussion her it is again. "Is there a good reason why Bachmann will not market their replacement metal wheel freight trucks through dealers?" To be certain there is no confusion over which trucks I am referring to, the Bachmann part number is G98901.

Bill I don't dispute your numbers, but that is not the answer I was looking for.  I just don't see purchasing a bunch of stuff I don't need or want as a good answer to the question. A reasonable work around, yes, but not an answer.

Bob C.

Loco Bill

No problem Bob,   I was only trying to show you the cheapest way I know to get the trucks you need for your project.   
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway