News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Age of Christmas passenger cars

Started by Jugler, October 11, 2009, 10:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jugler

I just purchased some old red and green G scale passenger cars in wonderful shape.  They have snow on the windows and North Pole & Southern on the side.  The cars do not have the compartment for a battery to light the car and have the hook & loop couplers.  It is my belief they must be old as they do not have lights.  Does anyone know when they were made?.  Is there a database one can look these things up in?

Thanks...

NarrowMinded

From your brief discription I would guess that they could be from a big hauler Christmas set I think I read here  that the big hauler line was released in 1989 to date, I know you will get better answers then mine. but they will likely ask if you can find any numbers on them anywhere or for you to insert a picture.

nm

Jon D. Miller

They're probably not very old.  North Pole & Southern is the name that Bachmann has used in recent years for their Christmas sets.

Loco Bill should be able to possibly help you identify their vintage.

Loco Bill has an extensive data base of Bachmann Big Hauler sets.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Loco Bill

Juggler,

Jon is right they are not very old.

While I cannot be absolutely positive without a picture of the cars, I believe they are from the Limited Edition 2006 set sold at Sam's Club.  They are the only ones I know of that were made without the lights.  They also had the horn Hook couplers as original equipment.  The difficulty comes because Bachamnn has used the North Pole & Southern name in seven sets that I know of so far.

As the story goes Sam's kept squeezing Bachmann for lower costs, so Bachmann cut the lights and used cheaper horn hook couplers to reduce production costs.

If I am right they are from 2006 Set 90054 which was called the Holiday Special.  It had an Anniversary 4-6-0 and the Coach and observation Car, it also had a trolly two power packs and two circles of track.  A baggage car and Combine in matching paint were available as a seperate item.

If you post a picture or email me a picture I can confirm what I have said above.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

NarrowMinded

Here is an image of the car that was emailed to me.

Joe Satnik

Dear Juggler,

I assume that you sent the picture to NM.

Loco Bill said:

"If I am right they are from 2006 Set 90054 which was called the Holiday Special.  It had an Anniversary 4-6-0 and the Coach and observation Car, it also had a trolly two power packs and two circles of track.  A baggage car and Combine in matching paint were available as a seperate item."

The picture shows the Observation car (drum-head and fancy railing) from the 90054 set.

The only thing that I can add to Loco Bill's description is the coal tender, which is paired with the 4-6-0 loco, and the track count, which is 24 curves and 16 straights. (1 complete 4' diam. circle = 12 curves, straights ~ 1 ft.)   

I have a complete sealed-in-box 90054 Annie Passenger-Trolley set and a separate add-on Baggage-Combine set, opened for inspection, never run.  I also have new individual pieces available. 

If you would like more details, contact me off-board.  joebarbATwwtDOTnet

There are a few different ways to light the passenger cars.  I think AA Alkaline powered warm-white LEDs are the most cost effective way to go.  (Less than 2 cents/hour per car to run with off-brand on-sale batteries.)

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Loco Bill

Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products