warped side frames on js trucks how to fix

Started by gunrunner, October 05, 2009, 12:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunrunner

i have older j&s pax cars with warped side frames on the trucks.  does anyone know the technique and heat range required to melt these back into shape ? ?
thanx in advance.

Loco Bill

Not sure about the heat range but m,y son used a hair dryer on high and heat a warped roof with it and it worked pretty well.   onec warm to hot he gently bent the piece back to original.

Good luck
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

on30gn15

Ahh.  :) There's a warped cab side I was wondering about doing likewise to.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Kevin Strong

Depending on how they're warped, you may have luck bending them parallel with some wood across the ends. (It would have been there on the prototype truck anyway).

The depression on the near end is to clear the draft gear timbers on the car I was building.

If you didn't want to go through the trouble of using wood, you can get some wire, drill holes in the ends (where I've got the pins going through) and just pull them parallel, twist the wire and you're all set. Do this after the wheels are in place, though.

Later,

K

gunrunner

thanx guys

was going to wait til wife went out of town
stick 'em in the oven
i think your ideas are better

thanx again

jsmvmd

Dear "Agent" K,

Elegant solution !  Saw similar repair on truck repair at the Strasburg shop last month.  The work was timber mortise & tenon, hidden alas, but beautiful the same.

Best Wishes,

"J"