News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding functional front coupler to 0-6-0

Started by on30gn15, October 11, 2009, 09:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on30gn15

A question for Y'all;

Just got a Seaboard 0-6-0 item no. 50746.
It has dummy coupler on pilot beam and not enough material to cut away to make room to add a KayDee coupler box.
At least the way it appears to me.

What are any of your thoughts on changing or modifying pilot beam or entire pilot to add a functional KD coupler?

Thanks in advance for your input.  :)

FSWood

p.s. am also considering getting the Southern 2-6-2 and doing same to it.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Alex Butner

It looks like there is a coupler box behind the beam. I haven't owned a 0-6-0 but I think you could file off the coupler box and glue a kadee coupler in place. I don't know if that will work or not.

rich1998

kadee site has a suggestion. http://www.kadee.com/conv/hocc14.htm
you might use a very thin film of contact cement, walthers goo using a toothpick on the couple surface and bottom of the attachment point on the loco. i mean thin. a new batch of glue is good as it has not got thick yet. I have done that but have to be very careful, not ham handed. more is not better
lex

CNE Runner

FSWood - I recently replaced the front and rear couplers on a Mantua 0-6-0T and imagine it is similar to the Bachmann locomotive. The Mantua has the [dummy] front coupler in a slot located in the pilot beam and is screwed in place. I widened the 'slot' somewhat with a jeweler's file and added a couple of pieces of styrene (on either side of the coupler attach point) - glued in place with CA. Simply put, I made a coupler draught box in situ. I then used a long shank EZmate Mark II coupler...held in place with a longer 2-56 screw with a polished flat washer between the screw head and the coupler itself. [I used the EZmate coupler because it had the centering springs molded on; although you could use an appropriate Kadee 'whisker' coupler.] This arrangement isn't perfect, and there are some issues with coupler swing, but it is the best one can do in this situation.

Hope this helps,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"