News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Smoke Screen

Started by ThomasFan247, October 08, 2009, 09:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThomasFan247

Hey everyone!
Sorry I haven't ben on in awhile. Advanced classes, after-school activities, etcetra have been holding me back from visiting the site. Anyway, I have a question for Mr. B.
          I recieved a USRA 0-6-0 with smoke and lights on Tuesday. When I got home I put three drops of smoe fluid into the funnel and let it sit for a few minutes. I started to run it but it wouldn't smoke. I thought maybe there wasn't enough fluid in it, so I put in a few more drops. It still wouldn't work. I was using the Bachmann standard DC system.
          I then tried to run it with my Digitrax Zephyr DCC controller. I turned it on and in a few seconds it started to puff smoke. It was puffng great.
          After a few minutes of running the engine the smoke started to come from the right side (wheels, traction rods). I stopped it and let it sit for awhile. I turned the Zephyr on again and it started smoking fine again, but again after awhile the same thing happened. 
          The same thing has been happening since. Do you have any ideas on what could be wrong? Thanks for your time.

Christian ;D 

jettrainfan

Thomas, please understand me. You should really put this in Ho scale board. It is a bit more appropriate if you know what i mean.Its no problem :) im sure someone can help. I don't specialize or know much about smoke units so i cant really help you with this. I hope this helps!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

the Bach-man

Hi, Christian,
My guess is that the unitis overfilled. When the fluid gets hot is smokes, but then boils out.
Try draining it and starting over with less fluid.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

ThomasFan247

Quote from: jettrainfan on October 08, 2009, 10:20:10 PM
Thomas, please understand me. You should really put this in Ho scale board. It is a bit more appropriate if you know what i mean.Its no problem :) im sure someone can help. I don't specialize or know much about smoke units so i cant really help you with this. I hope this helps!
I know, sorry. I was thinking during Algebra today thinking, "Oh crap! I posted Smoke Screen in the T&F section! I'll probably be posted as spam!" LOL.
             Thanks Mr. B. That's what I thought it was. I'll try daining. Hopefully it works!

ThomasFan247

Quote from: ThomasFan247 on October 09, 2009, 07:51:08 PM
Quote from: jettrainfan on October 08, 2009, 10:20:10 PM
I know, sorry. I was thinking during Algebra today thinking, "Oh crap! I posted Smoke Screen in the T&F section! I'll probably be posted as spam!" LOL.
             Thanks Mr. B. That's what I thought it was. I'll try daining. Hopefully it works!
Quick question, Mr. B, how do I drain it?

the Bach-man

Dear Christian,
Carefully draw out any excess fluid by inserting the corner of a tissue.
Let any excess evaporate.
Carefully!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

ThomasFan247

Quote from: the Bach-man on October 10, 2009, 09:58:48 PM
Dear Christian,
Carefully draw out any excess fluid by inserting the corner of a tissue.
Let any excess evaporate.
Carefully!
Have fun!
the Bach-man
Thanks! I'll try.