DCC on my 3 truck shay again from the newby

Started by bill Bagley, July 31, 2009, 05:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill Bagley

Jester I thank you for your earlier response. Bachmann does not have a "control unit". So that I can do it "easy".

I have this unit running in on track power after lubing it. I love the sound ads a new dimension.

Now I want to move forward, I am thinking a DCC control system is next someone give me a idea of what I need to buy to get reasonable control.

My other thought is to take it to Batt. power. But that is not going to leave much change from a BOAT [bring on another thousand}.  I have a 38ton SHay & a 2-4-0 LGB As well as Accucraft MIMI but that's another problem.

For the moment I will deal with my track cleaning problems if DCC is a couple of 100.  Plus I need to get a larger transformer. Almost answering my own question.

In any case anyone have a thought for me on the 3 Truck & DCC?

jestor

I use MRC Prodigy Advance(3.5Amp). It's a good system and very easy to use. All DCC systems have their own power supply; you don't need a bigger power pack. Your two truck SHAY is "DCC ready" ; it has a means on the curcuit board to install in a decoder. Very simple to convert to DCC. I cannot say whether your other locos have an "interface" or not. If you don't have a hobby shop nearby(I don't) DCC systems are available from On line hobby shops as well as E-Bay. 

artgib

Bill
When you get the time get in touch with me. I bought a Digitrax system but have decided I am gonna stay with the Airwire system. If you are interested in a trade I would consider the extra Shay you have.
Let me know or come to one of the meetings and we will talk
Art Gibson