News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Difference between models

Started by chergar, October 19, 2009, 07:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chergar

We are considering getting into large scale railroading again after a long absence but are clueless regarding the new systems.  We like the look of the 55 ton 3-truck shay but don't know which model, as novices, we should buy, e.g. 82494 as compared to 82697.   How do we find out what all the acronyms mean and what further equipment do we need to buy to make them operate (except track, of course)?  Is there a web site or publication explaining these things.  Already subscribe to Garden Railroad but it assumes we know something!  Is there room for batteries in those models?

We would really appreciate some help from you experienced members. 

Jon D. Miller

chergar,
The following may be of some help.

Item #82494 is the more common electrical configuration of the 3-truck Shay.  It is DCC (Digital Command Control) ready.  This configuration is the most popular with operators.  This Shay can be run on DC track power, converted to battery power, or DCC.  A sound system is easy to add.

Item #82697 is set up with DCC and contains a proprietary digital sound system.  And it's not the best DCC sound system.  First, this model was not a big seller and in many cases those sold have had the installed sound system removed.

http://www.girr.org/girr/index.html

You might want to take a look at George Schreyer's site, listed above, for more information on DCC.

Not familiar with DCC so any meaningful information on this subject will have to come from someone with direct experience.

For my money I'd go with the #82494.  It is usually sold for less money and if at some time you decide to go DCC it is set up to add DCC.  Paying extra for the Shay with the proprietary DCC sound system would seem to be a waste of money, given its less than stellar performance.

I've had a #82499 since the 3-truck was first introduced. It is set up for RC (radio control) and battery power.  The Shay is a great runner and has been trouble free.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Loco Bill

Hi,  It is really hard to help because of the range of systems available.  Are you going to use DCC Digital Command control,  Radio Control track power, Radio control Batttery power?   What level of sound do you want?  Will you be indoors or outdoors?  

If you will not be using DCC, it is better to get the 3 truck shay without sound, and add it later.  Their are many who have battery powered the shay using the new Lithium Ion Batterys.  Installations of sound, radio receiver and batteries in the 3 truck shay are not for the faint of heart.

I would suggest you look at Mylargescale.com,  Largescalecentral.com, and the Aristocraft Trains forums to get more info.   look at the topics for power and sound, this will give you a start.  There is so much to learn that yopu may be better off starting with one of the lower cost locomotives, like the Bachmann Anniversary 4-6-0  which has a great mechanism and is easy to battery power,  ovgrs.com has a great article on how to do it.

JD posted while I was writing this but I will post it anyway.   

Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products