News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC ready spectrum Locos

Started by doncan, October 11, 2009, 02:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doncan

I have  recently started down the DCC path for US outline and to date all purchases of "DCC ready" I.E. non chipped locos don't  to run on 12V DC. My understanding is that they should run OK in DC mode before having chips installed. Is this incorrect?

jonathan

All DCC ready locos should run normally in DC. mine do.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: doncan on October 11, 2009, 02:44:39 AM
I have  recently started down the DCC path for US outline and to date all purchases of "DCC ready" I.E. non chipped locos don't  to run on 12V DC. My understanding is that they should run OK in DC mode before having chips installed. Is this incorrect?
[/quote

What is being said is that make sure the engine runs well in DC, as if it does not run in DC well it will not run well on DCC. Best to fully break in the engine before adding the DCC chip.
Pacific Northern

Jim Banner

doncan,
You might want to have a closer look at your dc controller to see why it will not run dc locomotives, which is exactly what DCC ready locomotives without decoders are.

I might mention that electronics professionals are familiar with three kinds of chips:
- pieces knocked out of hard objects "I chipped a tooth,"
- something to eat with fast food  "I love fish and chips," and
- tiny bits of doped and etched silicon, and also the integrated circuits (IC's) into which they are often made.  "my computer contains 27 different kinds of chips."

None of these chips will do anything good for your locomotives.  At least not by themselves.  But certain silicon chips made into integrated circuits and combined with resistors, capacitors, diodes and transistors to form decoders, can do wonders for your locomotives.

You might want to think about using the term "decoder" which will make people take you seriously and leave the term "chips" to the kids.

Jim

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pdlethbridge