News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Noisy DCC 2-8-0 Spectrum Rock Island loco

Started by hunter2115, October 11, 2009, 03:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter2115

This is going to be hard to describe, but I thought I'd reach out to see if anyone has had similar issues. I recently purchased one of these locos (which is also the first one I've had). I returned the 1st one because it ran noisy and I thought it was defective. It was exchanged for another new one that appears to have the same "problem". I can only describe the noise as an intermittent, short, grinding or buzzing noise that only seems to happen when running forward. It does not seem to be happening at any particular speed. I've looked it over to see if I could identify a loose part that might be vibrating but have found nothing. It is definately coming from the loco and not the tender.
Is this something that might just be a break- in thing, or am I having a bad string of defective locos? Or are steam locos just noisy like this by nature? I love having it on my set up, but I'm having thoughts of going back to the nice, quiet diesel.

BaltoOhioRRfan

Try putting a Dab of Gear oil on the gears on the axle. IF a engine sits for a while in a warehouse the oil will have a tendancy to settle. Had this happen on an engine i bought and the noise cleared up after putting a dab of oil on the gears my B&O 2-8-8-0 was making the same noise going backwards but not forwards. a little oil cleared it up.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

bobwrgt

This Loco is belt driven and some have belt noise. To break it in , run it for about 2-3 hours. Should quiet down. If not return it.

Bob

hunter2115

Took it apart again- still nothing amiss as far as I can see. Put it back on the track, and it still sounds like its gonna explode. I'm going to let it run for a while- it will either self-destruct or smooth out (either way I'm ok with the outcome at this point!).

hunter2115

Running the loco for 2 1/2 hours did nothing to quiet the noise. I've resigned myself to packing it up for service/repalcement. I can't believe that I got 2 of these with the same problem. A nice quiet diesel is taking its spot for now.

Stephen D. Richards

Did you lube the gears?  I've got nine of the newer Spectrum 2-8-0s and only had that problem with one.  Lube and running has cleared most of it up to an exceptable level.    Stephen

hawaiiho

Based on my experience with the same unit, I would ship it back.

I sent back two  and finally got one that runs smooth and quiet.

At a three month turn around from Hawaii, that took a lot of patience.

Pacific Northern

I had the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago.

I bought one of the Spectrum 2-10-0's and had problems right away. It was sent back for repair/replacement and a new unit arrived. It too had problems right out of the box.  That unit went back and another unit was received and it is a fantastic running engine.

It is a shame that there seems to be so many instances of poor quality control, it certainly does not help the Bachmann reputation.

However, I am impressed with the Spectrum engines and I have multiple engines of all of the Spectrum steamers with the exception of their J unit. The engines I have especially the 4-6-0's have superb detail and running characteristics.  The Spectrum 2-8-2 is also a great engine as far as detail and running characteristics.

So, hand in there and try to be patient.   Do not let a few duds put you off the brand.
Pacific Northern

hawaiiho

Quote from: Pacific Northern on October 11, 2009, 11:31:41 PM
However, I am impressed with the Spectrum engines and I have multiple engines of all of the Spectrum steamers with the exception of their J unit. ............

]

I have a new Spectrum J. The only problem that I have is, guess what........

Poor Documentation.