News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

prototype question

Started by pdlethbridge, October 14, 2009, 07:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

I have a N&W steam era picture that shows a sign I am unsure of. Its a round sign with a large dot in the center and another circle around it separated by a narrow band. Could this be a turntable sign?
It's in the center to the right of the pole. It appears to be multi-colored.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/pdleth/1255520440.jpg?t=1255520598

jward

never saw that one before. different railroads have different signs so it might be  for a turntable. the closest i've seen to this is a yellow triangle with a black dot in the center, as used by conrail. it told the operator of a flanger or ballast regulator when to raise the blades to avoid damaging them on a road crossing, hotbox detector, or other object between the rails that stuck up above the ties.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jim Banner

I don't know what it is but would like to make a few observations anyway.  It is close to a turnout.  And that turnout appears to be part of the main track through this area.  At least, it appears to have tie plates while the track nearer the view does not.  The turnout also has an unusually long guard rail which may also indicate higher speed than the other tracks. 

I am assuming that the photo was taken before 1950 so the outer circle may well be red paint.  The inner circle could be green or blue paint but I suspect it is a red lens over a lantern hidden from our view.

Is it possible this is an elevated indicator for the switch?

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pdlethbridge

It looks like it is too small to hide a lantern. It also looks like it could be tracks near a turntable as the middle engine is at the end of its track and there are numerous pieces of railroad junk in front of it. A broken coupler, possibly a freight car brake wheel and a large nut on the bottom track. That stuff would indicate repairs and a service facility.

jward

i don't think it is an indicator for a switch, those were at the points not the frog. judging by the angles of the tracks in the photo, it is unlikely they are turntable lead tracks. they appear to be parallel with either one leg or the other of that switch. also, the turntable tracks would probably been a greasy mess, at least that's the way i remember the ones i saw in the 1970s. the tracks in the photo are ballasted with cinders, but otherwise clean.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Elmore Yard

It is a safety sign.   I recall seeing them on various buildings during the sixties and seventies at Elmore Yard, Mullens WV.

Tom M

pdlethbridge

Safety for what in particular, may I ask?

Elmore Yard

It is a generic work safely sign.  It reminds employees to be careful. 

pdlethbridge